show pig history

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
hankinson6

show pig history

Post by hankinson6 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi
my daughter is doing a presentation for a history fair and has chosen to do "the evolution of the show pig". She is struggling to find information on any history of pig shows and how show pigs have changed over the years. Does anyone have any suggestions on where she can find any relevant information?
thanks!

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: show pig history

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Depends on what you call 'research'. Might be easier to find info on a different topic. Showpigs have followed the US pork industry. Carcass composition, market weights and popular breeds have all changed from time to time. Best advice would be to find some show result records, old magazines, or a senior showperson to interview. Here's an example, apparently this hog won the American Royal and Chicago in the same year - that was big time then and would be big time today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Press-Phot ... 565e07059d

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm

I put a slide show together that might be useful. If you're interested you can give me your email address and I can send it to you.
Brian

HHH

Post by HHH » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 am

It kinda goes like this: it all started with the biggest fattest pigs win, then the leanest frailest greyhound pig would win and then the smallest no necked toad with big legs and belly packed full of who knows what wins! This is an interesting topic as the showpig world has always went from one extreme to the other. Im sorry I'm no help finding info on showpigs from the past but when you find some I'm sure the drastic changes we have been through will be laughable. good luck with presentation.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 am

Like Norm said until recently the selection of show pigs was in lockstep with the commercial demands of the time. Farmers selected breeding stock based in large part on what was going on in the Type Conferences and State fairs. Public discussions of type and kind were as much a part of those type conferences as the pig show.

During times of war Ww1 and WW 2 fat was desired for the manufacture of explosives so the show ring reflected that need. When packers responded to demand for much leaner pigs and the show ring responded by selecting what. HHH rightfully described as "greyhounds."

In recent times it has become more about entertainment than linked to commercial demands and he growth in Jr. hog shows and ancillary business is phenomenal.

There are a couple books I have in my library that might be useful if you can find them. One is called The Pork Story. It was published by NPPC years ago. I'm not sure if there are any copies there or at the pork board. The other is called Iowa Pork and People and was published by the Iowa Pork Producers. Neither is specific to the show ring but they'd sure be useful.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

Mary-Okie
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Mary-Okie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:42 am

I preface this summary by saying that this is my interpretation of the history of the show pig industry over the last 35 years.

I think for some of us that have been in this industry for several decades and have seen the type changes over the years, we could say that many of the type changes over the last 35 years or so have been done by a handful of large breeders creating the next generation of valued genetics.

I believe the show pig industry decoupled from the commercial industry in the 1980's. This is when the industry started promoting the short sided, deep bodied, fat hogs with little muscle. These hogs couldn't even meet the minimum certifications for body length, leanness and LEA. Obviously, this was not the commercial industry pushing this type of hog.

Vertical integration of the commercial industry started in this time frame and the independent swine producer either aligned with an integrator, tried to stick it out on their own, or transitioned to the purebred/show pig industry. In 1980, commercial swine prices went in the tank. Many independent breeders went under, and many signed up with packing companies to get a little better price. (that was the start of vertical integration)

With no need to stay tied to the commercial industry, some large producers moved the show/purebred pig industry to these short, fat and light muscled toads that grew really well.

Personally, my dad would not let us own a pig from 1981 until 1987 because he didn't believe in that type of hog. Even though I was born in 1972, I didn't show my 1st hog in a 4-H/FFA show until 1987. So my show career was short and sweet. It wasn't until 1990 that the hogs started to reach a type that consistently met the minimum carcass certifications.

So in the early 1990's, we got out of the toad style and went to the totally opposite end of the spectrum and produced tall, long, super lean, tight gutted, slow growing hogs. We added the pietrain to the mix in the early 2000's and made them super heavy muscled and stress positive. Since then, we have moved back the other way to a small framed hog. Now we look to be in a transition to a bigger framed hog.

Today's show pig is nowhere near the same type of hog that is produced in commercial operations.

In a nutshell, the show pig industry chases an ideal type of hog that is based on a subjective visual evaluation that can be and is manipulated at any given time.

Here is a link to some history that may be of some help. http://nationalswine.com/about/history.php

It only covers 4 of the breeds, but it is a good start.

Also, here is a link to some photos and descriptions of boars at SGI from the early 80's and up. http://www.swinegenetics.com/frozen_semen.php

When I look at these photos, I can't believe we thought those hogs were good!
Colby Ferguson
Mary-Okie Farm
cferg615@outlook.com

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant

hankinson6

Post by hankinson6 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm

bcbully wrote:I put a slide show together that might be useful. If you're interested you can give me your email address and I can send it to you.

thanks that'd be great! hankinson6@gmail.com

hankinson6

Post by hankinson6 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Thank you for all of your advice and info! It was very useful!

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I'll send it to you tomorrow
Brian

trinaerickson

Post by trinaerickson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Can one of you please send me the slide show? I'm the swine barn super, and our theme this year is "our history" I'd love to be able to use your slide show. My email is trinaaknapp@gmail.com

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I sent you an email
Brian

srlawson1

Post by srlawson1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Could I also get the slide show? working on a story for Texas Pork Producers Association

srlawson1

Post by srlawson1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm

bcbully wrote:I sent you an email
Could I get this power point? srlawson1@buffs.wtamu.edu

Nelli143

Post by Nelli143 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:00 pm

I know it is an old thread but hoping I could get a copy of this slide show also! nelli143@aol.com thanks in advance. Long time reader/creeper first time poster ☺️

bcbully
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by bcbully » Fri May 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Nelli143 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:00 pm
I know it is an old thread but hoping I could get a copy of this slide show also! nelli143@aol.com thanks in advance. Long time reader/creeper first time poster ☺️
Hello, I just sent two emails. One with the old version PPT and another one with an updated and expanded one. Let me know if you received both of them. Thanks, Brian
Brian