Deworming methods

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
pigfarmer1025
Power User
Power User

Deworming methods

Post by pigfarmer1025 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:44 pm

My breeder said they have dewormed the pigs I bought from them. I was planning on deworming them myself. My question is what is the best method of deworming? I feed SUNGLO and they offer a dewormer in 3 lbs bags, I am currently feeding 4 pigs so it isn't enough for me and I don't want to buy a lot of it because they are still on full feed. I have heard of shots you can give them. Does anyone know what the shot is and where I can get it.

Thanks!

whatwasIthinking
Power User
Power User

Re: Deworming methods

Post by whatwasIthinking » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:39 pm

I am surprised no one has responded to your post yet. The recommended wormer is Ivomec Injectable, or the cheaper generic brand is Noromectin. You can get that at any Tractor Supply or larger feed stores. It is recommended that you switch every 30 days between Ivomec and Safeguard, either paste or feed additive. Hope this helps

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Deworming methods

Post by mtbkmom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:38 pm

EZ Scoop Safeguard---made for swine. Top dress for 3 days straight 1 scoop. It comes in 10 lb bucket, cost around 120.00......but we keep the big bucket in a cool dark place in our house and bring out the amount we need for deworming with safeguard in a small coffee can. Got caught without it about 2 months ago and had a sow coughing. trying to figure the amount to give with the paste was horrific. The dose is not the same wt increment amounts that are scored for cattle or horses.

Get the EZ scoop and your set for 3-4 years. It comes out to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Ivomectin or Dectomax are injectable products with doseages for swine on the label per injection.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.