newbie pen set up question

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
ScottN

newbie pen set up question

Post by ScottN » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:04 pm

This will be my daughters first year showing and I need to get the pen ready. The stalls in my barn are 16x12. I am thinking about going out from there one pannel to make the pen. Is this too big or too small? Should I put the gate on the end opposite the barn? Is it best to run a water line to the pen and put a nipple in? We are going to start out with 2 pigs. Sorry for so many questions but I want to try and get it right.

Scott

Windfall Farm
Power User
Power User

Re: newbie pen set up question

Post by Windfall Farm » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Scott, for two pigs an 8×10 would be be plenty of room(I keep 4 in a 8×10 inside(they also have an outdoor axcess pen via a guillotine door) , so if your stalls are 16×12 I'd go 8×12 you diffently want an automatic water system with fresh cold water hooked to a water line depending on what part of the country you live,you may wanna consider a freeze guard nipple system for winter months, hand feeding is best (something that hangs off the gate is always areally a nice option) I use stainless steel feeders hold about 30 lbs but I don't fill them, keeping them cool in the summer is key to weight gain (remember pigs don't sweat) consider ceiling fans and water misters or an outdoor axcess pen with a mud wallow,if you have concrete floors think about rubber mats for the pen for comfort, ofcourse these are all suggestions stuff i have done in my barn over the years,some can be pricey and not nesscary for your first year like a freeze guard system if your not raising pigs in winter and worrying about frozen pipes)hope this helps good luck on the pen build