Pig needs to gain weight!

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
Smhoward27

Pig needs to gain weight!

Post by Smhoward27 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi, my daughter has joined the 4-H program and is raising a pig for the first time. The pig will be auctioned at county fair and needs to be a minimum of 215lbs. This is our first time and it’s getting stressful. We have a cross bred gilt, and today weighed in at 94lbs. We have 77 days till fair. We’re feeding showrite 17.5. She was on a free feeder but last week we pulled it and are pan feeding her twice a day. Roughly she’s eating 3lbs a day but is really slow and non aggressive eating. Someone suggested adding a hand full of muscle in motion to each feeding so I might try that. Her weight gain is so inconsistent. One week she gained 13lbs in 6 days, then next week 2lbs in a week! I just need her to hammer down on her feed. Someone also mentioned adding cake batter to feed to entice her appetite. She’s wormed monthly and has fresh water on a licker nipple, and I see her drinking regularly. She also shares a pen with another pig and they get on fine. Any help much appreciated. We’re located in Burlingame CA, just outside San Francisco.

PJP
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Pig needs to gain weight!

Post by PJP » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 am

I sent you a PM
Don't squat with your spurs on.

JessAdams

Re: Pig needs to gain weight!

Post by JessAdams » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am

Hello! I am having the EXACT issue with my small gilt. I would appreciate any and all help to get her to hand feed. I do wet down the feed, I have added a 1/4 c of Fat N Fluffy.. She has no interest in hand feeding.. I am at my wits end.