Slick concrete floors in pens

All things showpig related, general show pig questions
TEGG21

Slick concrete floors in pens

Post by TEGG21 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:32 pm

We built a barn and I wasn't really thinking ahead to where we would be putting fair pigs.

My concrete where my pens are, are not very rough and I had a few instances where pigs would slide around. I would like to try and help this situation before we get pigs again in March / April.

I don't want to go crazy as I do take pens down after the fair and use the barn for other purposes. Would getting a concrete saw and sawing lines every couple inches in a diamond pattern work maybe 1/4 - 3/8" deep? I have bedding in the back half of our pens then like to keep the front half bare. Have 3 pens so total area is roughly 75 st ft. I have heard that doing some sort of epoxy wouldn't last very long? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

rrcc74

Re: Slick concrete floors in pens

Post by rrcc74 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 am

You can rent a concrete grinder to just rough up the surface.

rebelback

Post by rebelback » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:51 pm

You may have already done this, but we were in the same boat and rented a concrete scarifier. It solved most of our problems with a single pass. I'm going to rent another one and go over it again this year to create a cross pattern on the floor.

TEGG21

Post by TEGG21 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:50 pm

rebelback wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:51 pm
You may have already done this, but we were in the same boat and rented a concrete scarifier. It solved most of our problems with a single pass. I'm going to rent another one and go over it again this year to create a cross pattern on the floor.
Wow, yes this is exactly what I had pictured in my mind and couldnt find anything that would do it. I had painted a product called Roller Rock on it for this year.. Started out great, but as you clean pens and just normal traffic, it has worn off. Did you reseal it then after you went over it? Also, did you have any sharp stones after running over it. Now I have to see if any of the local rental places have one.

rebelback

Post by rebelback » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:15 pm

We did not seal it.