KGB -- problem with barrow on HSC feed

Product information, feeding and nutrition, promotions, and insights from the experts at Purina
Showgirl123

KGB -- problem with barrow on HSC feed

Post by Showgirl123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am

I have a barrow, almost 8 weeks old and 45-50 pounds. He's in a pen with 8 other littermates. They were weaned at 30 days of age, and were initially on the HSC 309 starter feed. All did great. I typically add Showrite 19 to the HSC 309, once they are off the sow 7-10 days, and feed this 50/50 mix sloppy wet in hanging feeders. They love it and the rate of gain is tremendous. This one barrow has developed a very red anus and surrounding area. I thought maybe the Showrite feed didn't agree with him since this issue started after adding that to their feed, so I switched that out with HSC 709 5-7 days ago. Still a very red, sore looking behind. The litter has been wormed with Safeguard in their feed, and I have given him some Tylan to try and clear this up.....no change, and no other pigs in the litter are having issues. While others in the litter have firm, normal looking poop, his is runny, more like cow poop. I added rolled oats to their feed three days ago, still no change. He eats aggressively, plays hard, and doesn't act sick.....but my concern is prolapse. Your thoughts or suggestions please?

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: KGB -- problem with barrow on HSC feed

Post by kgb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm

When I first began to read your post I thought loose stools. Generally, that is the cause of what you are seeing. It happens more than you think with some pigs that eat aggressively. About the only way to reduce the irritation etc.... is to limit intake or a better way to put it is CONTROL intake. My guess is that the Showrite 19% is about 1.2% lysine and 309 is 1.5% lysine. So, effectively you were feeding a1.35% diet.

Generally, again this doesn't cause a problem in most pigs. But, in some aggressive eaters it may. So, to control intake (you feed him what you want him to have) you will probably have to pen him by himself and hand feed twice per day.

My other thought is that the pigs were weaned at 30 days of age and they are now 50 - 56 days old. When the redness started is when you began to mix feeds. (I'm not going where you think I am). Even weaned at 30 days (which in today's world is a little older) some pig's digestive tract is still immature and cannot handle a great deal of soybean meal. It could simply be that and if it is, it will be self correcting in 10 - 14 days from when it started.
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27

Showgirl123

Re: KGB -- problem with barrow on HSC feed

Post by Showgirl123 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you for your response KGB. This barrow will relocate to his new home in 10-14 days so I will make those suggestions to his new owner if the problem is still there when he leaves. In the meantime, I guess I will just keep everything where it is for the time being as I don't have a spot right now to pen him by himself. Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it