At what point do I hold and how

Product information, feeding and nutrition, promotions, and insights from the experts at Purina
abelkrista
Power User
Power User

At what point do I hold and how

Post by abelkrista » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Have what I think is a heavy muscled barrow (but I don't really know). Born 4.5 months ago on valentines day. 45 days ago weighed 120 so I put him on same regimen as last years hog who weighed 10# more at that time and finished at 280). He now weighs 225 so gaining 2.3 per day but we have 60 days til fair and if he continues he will weigh 360! I want him around 285- 300 right? He is on 6 pounds of 809 daily split in 2 feeds (however the breeding project gilt has been being fed with him and this may be our mistake we are now separating during feeding g)

So I think I don't want to hold too soon as he needs to grow and develop muscle right? So do I wait until he hits 285 then hold? Can I hold at a weight or within 20 pounds long term without starving?

I assume I need to slow now but how do I know he is getting enough?
Do I use the following daily total (split I to 2 feedings)
2 pounds 809
2 pounds powerfill
8oz depth charge starting now or wait? We also have a ton a wheat laying around should I use that?
We are walking 20 minutes daily too not sure that will do much.
Do I need to re weigh in 2 weeks or wait till 4 weeks (which would be 30 days until weigh in).
Thanks!

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: At what point do I hold and how

Post by kgb » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 am

So the Barrow weighs 225 lbs now, your goal is 285 lbs and you have 60 days until weigh in. That calculates to a potential average daily gain of 1 lb per day (285 - 225) / 60 days = 1.0 lb/day.

For 60 days that’s not much. The diet you described; 2 lb Powerfill + 2 lb 809 + 1/2 lb Depth Charge will result in 1.5 lb/day gain.

First, and please know I’m not trying to scold you this is for you and everybody else out there in the same boat - you need to weigh your pigs and know what they weigh so you won’t get into this predicament.

I will finish this after Church (sorry headed out the door right now). I will give you a plan.
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27

abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Post by abelkrista » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks KGB. You are a absolutely right, we should've weighed! Got complacent after last year's heavy pig did fine after weigh in. He somehow only gained a average of around nd a pound a day for over 3 months on 6 pounds of 809. We did weigh him every 2to 4 weeks...

We can be heavier. I was just told that is what you want your target to be. Their is no top weight to get onto fair. In years past they would not pay for any poundage above 300 but I have heard that isn't true I last few years. 300 would target us at 1.25 per day.
I would like him at an optimal weight for market class. But his health and well being until then is more important to us.

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by kgb » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:53 pm

For the next 7 days feed:
(Total daily feed; divide into 2 equal meals):
High Octane Powerfill. 1/2 lb
High Octane Champion Drive. 2 lb
High Octane Depth Charge 1/2 lb

The pig should gain nothing so in 7 days it should still weigh 225 lb with 53 days remaining (285 - 225) / 53 days = 1.13 lbs/day potential daily gain.

For the next 14 days feed:
High Octane Powerfill. 3 lbs
High Octane Depth Charge 1/2 lbs

The pig should gain 1 lb per day on the above diet. So in 14 days the pig should weigh 239 lb (225 + 14 = 239). And you will have 39 days remaining. So the pig can potentially gain. 1.18 lb/day.

For the next 14 days feed;
High Octane Powerfill. 2 lb
High Octane Champion Drive. 1 lb
High Octane Heavy Weight. 1/2 lb (8 oz)
High Octane Depth Charge 1/2 lb

The pig should again weigh 1 lb per day but this time the pig will have more shape and body condition. So in 14 days the pig should weigh 253 lb with 25 days remaining for a potential daily gain of 1.28 lb/day.

The pig should have a little more body condition (fat cover) but my thought is to more than you desire because we will burn it off near the end with Fitter 52 (which increases muscle, burns fat, but doesn’t increase growth rate).
So, for the next 11 days feed:
Powerfill. 1 lb
Champion Drive 2 lb
Heavy Weight. 12 oz
Depth Charge. 1/2 lb

The pig should gain roughly 1.1 lb per day and put on some fat cover which is ok. So in 14 days the pig should weigh about 265 lb. with 14 days remaining the pig can gain about. 1.43 lb/day.
So for the final 14 days feed:
Powerfill. 2 1/2 lb
Champion Drive. 1 lb
Heavy Weight. 4 oz
Fitter 52. 8 oz
Depth Charge. 8 oz

The pig should gain about 1.4 lb per day on this diet, burn some fat and add muscle shape. If you find yo need more Fotter 52 you can increase it to 12-16 oz for the final 7 days.

If you have supplements left over put them in a freezer bag (separately) and put into the freezer. When you take them out for the next Pigs they will be just as good as when you put them in.
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27

abelkrista
Power User
Power User

Post by abelkrista » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks KGB.