Very Hard & tight muscled cross

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
Tornado
Power User
Power User

Very Hard & tight muscled cross

Post by Tornado » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 am

Has anyone had success in loosening up a very tight barrow with Sunglo G Mello? Any other ideas to loosen up barrow? I have had him on 14.5 % moormans and 1/2 lb of fat twice a day. He is 145 lbs and needs to loosen up in the muscle area. Thanks

tgk2TX
Power User
Power User

Re: Very Hard & tight muscled cross

Post by tgk2TX » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:51 pm

I have not used the product you mentioned, however I have had really good success with Lindner's. I have been feeding twice a day - 2 lbs Lindner 686 and 2 lbs 698. Combined the come out to 14% protein, 10.7% fat and 0.75% Lysine. I also add in some MoorFat to increase the percent of fat. The 698 is labeled for finicky eaters and to increase consumption. They seem to like the 698 alot. After a couple of weeks, the results start showing. Best of luck.

Lpigs
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Lpigs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 pm

tgk2tx- I was worried about our gilt eating the ground feed instead of the pellets. No problem there?

tgk2TX
Power User
Power User

Post by tgk2TX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:24 am

We did not have any issues when switching to ground feed. When switching to a different type of feed, I have found gradually switching by added a little more of the new feed and less of the old feed over 3 feedings helps. There is a better chance of the pig staying on the feed as opposed to stop eating as they don't care for the taste or in this case texture of the feed.

Macs B
Power User
Power User

Post by Macs B » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Tornado, when you say the pig is eating a 1/2 pound of fat, what are you feeding?

Tornado
Power User
Power User

Post by Tornado » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:41 am

I have him on 1/2 lb of Moormans fat with 2 1/2 lbs of Linders 687 , 1/2 lb of showts, wet & sloppy. He didn't like the grounded up form that the Sunglo Mellow was so I found the 687 with lower Lysine and Protein in pelleted form which he seems to prefer.

TimmFamSP

Post by TimmFamSP » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Something to try might be swithching him from a powdered fat such as MoorFat to a liquid fat supplement. I prefer to use a product called Dyne. It comes in a liquid carmel like state and I like to tone it down by filling the bottom of a water bottle with it(maybe 1/4") then filling the rest of the bottle up with water, until it looks like milk. Since you are already slopping the feed it would work good. Another reason I prefer to use that over a powdered fat, when I have used powdered fat in the past I have noticed that sometimes too much will cause a pig to go off feed. Dyne is almost addicting to the pigs and I have yet to have one not eat it. Low protein levels, oats, and a fat supplement should do the trick. Good Luck!

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Drop the 687. Give the same amt but use only wet slop--698. He should melt down in places like his ham loin & on top of his back real nicely and have a nice soft appearance with plenty of definition after you use the other products for fill.

I have a client who fed too high for too long early. I tried to tell them go now to 685, the went to 672. I tried to tell them to go to 698 & they went to 672 & 687 with a smidgen of 698. Saw pics again and is just too tight. I told they have 5 weeks to use 698, Moorfat, Moorbody and joint supplements and she should look just right.

I know this worked on another big breeders crosses and they also a feed store business. If you say too tight, they say 698.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

haflingerzing

Post by haflingerzing » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:33 am

Mtbkmom, we have a couple of hard muscled hogs that are weighing 120-130. They are on Sunglo 16% finisher. There is Lindners available in our area, thinking about going to the 698. Only concern is that it is non medicated feed. Seems risky, do pigs get sick just going to non medicated feed? These hogs were treated for pneumonia in the beginning after the sale.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm

They never got sick. They were fully immunized and on TruGlo from 3 weeks old and up. the buyer I am talking about went to only 1 jackpot for showing practice.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

haflingerzing

Post by haflingerzing » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 am

Mtbkmom, have you used Lindner's 698 as the main food to finish them, any other food mixed with the 698? Just the fat with 698? We want to try this, so just wondering. Probably no room for the Lindner's 611 on pigs this tight at the end? I ordered some Lubrisyn to help one of the two barrows loosen up.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:48 am

I would not use it all the way to the finish with your pigs just 120's. I recommended this to a client of mine because this pig was kept on a high protein diet too long, needed to soften up fast, then start over. He just kept going in other directions. The pig looked like he had a piece of PVC stuffed up his back on both sides. Try a bag on them, see where they are going from there and then look up the Lindner's site link Feeding Tools. They have a hard muscled pig that they managed all the way to finish. At some point you should be able to work your pigs back into their guidelines. Each pig is different, so any questions, give them a call with the website up, and send them some pictures. If your pig is managed from this point on they actually put their muscled pig on 611 for mass and fatter look along with some 686 & 698 & TNT etc. the last month.

Overthetoppigmom

Post by Overthetoppigmom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 pm

TimmFamSP wrote:Something to try might be swithching him from a powdered fat such as MoorFat to a liquid fat supplement. I prefer to use a product called Dyne. It comes in a liquid carmel like state and I like to tone it down by filling the bottom of a water bottle with it(maybe 1/4") then filling the rest of the bottle up with water, until it looks like milk. Since you are already slopping the feed it would work good. Another reason I prefer to use that over a powdered fat, when I have used powdered fat in the past I have noticed that sometimes too much will cause a pig to go off feed. Dyne is almost addicting to the pigs and I have yet to have one not eat it. Low protein levels, oats, and a fat supplement should do the trick. Good Luck!
How much Dyne are you feeding them? I see that 1 oz. contains 150 calories.