Feed and supplement

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
swinemom

Feed and supplement

Post by swinemom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:17 pm

This is just our second year showing at our local county fair with 4H. As of now, our gilt weighs 98 # she needs to be between 230-290 at weigh-in which is 3-16-18. We are feeding Sunglo 16% and thinking of changing over to Lindners (not sure if one is better than the other). She sometimes doesn't eat as much as I would like for her too. I also just ordered some supplements True Glo CR and True Trac (to help with joints). Does anyone have any experience with these products? Any advice on any aspect of feed, supplements or showing welcomed.

dolfan31
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Feed and supplement

Post by dolfan31 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm

True glo CR and True track are great products. True glo will help keep them healthy and have a healthy appetite. True trac will help with joint health. I prefer Moormans as a base feed but out of the two you mentioned I would feed linders if I had the choice.

swinemom

Post by swinemom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:12 pm

The sole supplier for Lindner’s feed (near me), only carries the ground kind. We tried to mix with her Sunglo pellets to transition her however, she will only eat the pellets and leaves all of the ground food! I can get the Moorman’s in the pelleted feed. Would there be an advantage to switching her at this point? She is now 100lbs. Also, when do you suggest starting the True Trac? I will start the True Glo Cr as soon as it arrives but, I have read some people start True Trac when their hog is around 150lbs. I also ordered True Purple to give her when it comes time to move her to the fair.

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by kgb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 am

Is Honor Show Chow (Purina) available in your area? If so, give 809 a try. I believe you will be very happy.
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27

swinemom

Post by swinemom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 am

@KGB I went to the Purina Mills website and did not see anyone in our area that carries this feed! Florida has a wide-open market and needs different show hog feeds and supplements. It could even use some educational classes and resources. We live in a small community that has always had county fairs with hog and steer shows but we have nowhere near the education for showing and feeds as you guys in the Northwest. I would love to see some more of this in our area.

dolfan31
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by dolfan31 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

We like to start our pigs on TrueGlo CR and TrueTrac at the start of the product but you can start the true trac at 150 and do just fine as the benefits are important as they start to get heavier and the added weigh puts stress on legs and joints. Like I said I prefer Moormans base feed, we have also got along well with Honor show chow from purina. I am never personally liked sunglo as much as the other 2 brands. Also love the honor show chow supplements to fine tune the pigs

swflpig

Post by swflpig » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 pm

@swinemom what feed store are you able to buy Linders at in florida?

swinemom

Post by swinemom » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 pm

@ swflpig D & J enterprises of Dixie County, Fl this is how they are listed on FB look them up.. They actually just got a shipment in today!