Fat vs Protein vs Lysine

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
oldbrickhouse

Fat vs Protein vs Lysine

Post by oldbrickhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am

Can someone explain how these three items effect the growing period in the early stages of a show pig's development? Pigs that are currently in the 50-70 lb range. My understanding is a higher protein is desired but also for the lean show pigs these days energy (fat) is required for proper muscle development. Without the energy, the body with direct it's efforts to other means that muscle development. The reason I ask and I might misunderstand is someone told me the higher protein and higher fat content of product I was thin king about using is counter productive.

Mary-Okie
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Fat vs Protein vs Lysine

Post by Mary-Okie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:13 pm

I'll take a stab at this one. Lysine is the most limiting Amino Acid in swine. So when the diet is limited in Lysine, the pig won't convert protein to muscle. Therefore, in a little pig, their feed intake is much less plus their muscle and frame growth is at a very high % of their weight gain, there is a need for a higher % of lysine (and therefore, higher % protein) in the pig diet. Typically, this is done with other types of protein sources other than Soybean Meal. (Also why the price of little pig feed is so high!)

I pretty much answered the protein part. But to reinforce, Use higher protein when trying to maximize muscle and structural growth. Use less protein when trying to increase weight gain and capacity.

Lastly is fat. This is my personal opinion, but I believe there is too much fat in the little pig diets today. I believe there is a direct correlation between high fat diets early and the excessive flank fat deposits. I think there is extra KPH fat put on at an early age which in turn restricts the blood flow to those glands in the flank. With less blood flow, there is increased fat deposition (and in some extreme cases that waddling effect when the pig is on the move). High fat in the diet early does help get one more Jackpot ready, but unless you are showing early and often, it is really not needed at those early stages.

I find myself more and more these days looking for the 3.5% fat feeds that still have the other bells and whistles in them. Unfortunately, most don't carry them. 18241 from Showtec has been my go to low fat complete feed of late.

If you feed high intakes of high fat and high protein diets, you are paying a lot for increased weight gain. A simple 16 - 18% protein, 0.9 - 1% Lysine, 3.5 - 5% fat feed will get you pretty much as high a weight gain as anything out there.

Its the manipulation of the frame, muscle expression, body composition, structural integrity and weight gain that makes this showpig thing more of an art than science.

My feeling is the creation of today's successful showpig is made up of the following %'s. 25% - quality of the pig you start with, 50% - the way it is fed, 25% - showmanship and ring presentation.
Colby Ferguson
Mary-Okie Farm
cferg615@outlook.com

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant

Silverstar

Re: Fat vs Protein vs Lysine

Post by Silverstar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm

in MY opinion , I think timing is key as to when you supply different levels protein /fat/lysine . If you study feeding from a growers side of the fence efficiency is a key component, one that I think is lost on the show feed regime . if you were to drop the proteins down sooner you could gain faster body growth and develop a healthier animal to 150 lbs before trying to manipulate them for the show ring . I agree with keeping them on 16-18 % with lower fat till that 150 lbs is obtained and possibly 16% to 200 lbls . that way you realize the genetic potential of your animal first . In general ( I believe HOGDOC explained it in his feed ) that a lot has to do with how much usable energy is available and if its being utilized