New to the show scene

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
Jdelgado

New to the show scene

Post by Jdelgado » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am

Hello everybody, my name is Jesse and I’m new to the show scene. I use to show back in the day but seems like a lot has changed since then. So this year I’m getting my nephew his first show pig and was wondering what everybody is feeding and how much? Any advice and info will be greatly appreciated. :D

cracklethepiglet
Power User
Power User

Re: New to the show scene

Post by cracklethepiglet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:38 am

Hi there! I'm no expert, but I've been raising pigs for the past three years and am giving you advice from my experienced leaders/show pig talks I've gone to. My leaders tell me to start at 3 lb. per day of food and work it up to 6 lb. per day. Not sure what your weight goal is though, and what you're starting with (for weight). For my pigs, we start at about 50 lb. and want to get into a range of 210 - 275 lb. You can also do free-feeding until they're about 150 lbs., then switch over to hand feeding, but it's usually recommended that you do hand feeding throughout. I personally use Show-Rite and know people that have been very successful with it (e.g. got grand champ). Purina is another popular brand. If you are in it to win it then you should get supplements once they're about 150 lb. to add to their feed. You should definitely make connections with and ask your breeder and leaders for more info, as they know more specifically what you're dealing with. I also advise going to events like talks; I've learned so much info from attending many. Good luck and welcome back!
Crackle the Piglet :D

Jdelgado

Post by Jdelgado » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 am

Awesome man! Thanks for the info! I honestly can’t wait to start! Been talking to several breeders and they all seem very helpful! On feed, not much to choose from! All I’ve seen is moormans. Lindners but I would have to travel alittle over an hour for it!

cracklethepiglet
Power User
Power User

Post by cracklethepiglet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Sure! I'm happy to help out. It's lots of fun! Moormans should be good, although I don't have experience with it. I've gone to some talks where they represent Moormans, and I'm sure there are some winners out there feeding Moormans. Everyone has a different preference though. ;) I'd look around and see near you who has been successful with what feed, and then determine if the 1 hr. drive is really worth it (I don't think it would be, but once again, I've had no experience with either brand).
Crackle the Piglet :D