Pig won't eat all her food, HELP!

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
cfksferry

Pig won't eat all her food, HELP!

Post by cfksferry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 am

I am new to the suppliment stuff. We have always fed just grain and have done fine. My daughter wanted to try something new this year so she chose to try out champion drive. The pig seems to like it, the problem is, it's been so hot and the pig isn't eating all her food. We were up to 6 lbs a day, but she has only been eating just under 4.5-5 lbs.
She has a fan on all day. And she gets hosed down 1-2 times in the heat of the day and right before dinner.
So my question is, how do we get her to eat all her food as well as get her up to a pound of champion drive? We have 32 days till fair. We weigh later this week, but I'm guessing she may weigh about 210 lbs.
Any suggestions?

oldbrickhouse

Re: Pig won't eat all her food, HELP!

Post by oldbrickhouse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am

How often do you feed in the heat. Sometimes going to a three a day feeding helps by breaking down the total feed amount. Also, if you wet feed, sometimes the supplements can have fats and other things that sour in the heat if water is added. I have had experience with pigs not cleaning up what was in front of them when water was added and they leave it sit.

cfksferry

Post by cfksferry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 pm

We feed twice a day, morning and evening. We don't really do slop. She usually eats it dry. We have slopped it a couple times, sometimes it helpes and sometimes it does not. She does like the champion drive, she just looses intrest after so much.
At this point I'm just concerned about her making weight. We are going to weigh her tomorrow to see where we're at.

hogger39
Power User
Power User

Post by hogger39 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:51 pm

I milk cows from 4-7pm most nights. I will normally get up early and feed before it heats up for the day. I will feed after I get home from milking. My pigs have never not ate all their food, so I not exactly sure what the reason is. My heaviest pig is around your size as well. You could try marshmallows or mixing cake mix into the feed. In Wisconsin we have to deal with humidity, so feeding when it's cool is important. Hope you get some help from this. Hope you make the weight you want as well.