Food for the lovely pigs

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
thmtht1612

Food for the lovely pigs

Post by thmtht1612 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:12 am

I was just wandering which one is a better feed. For the past few years I have fed Moorman's but our state fair grand champion market hog this year was fed Sunglo. So I just didn't know which one I should feed. Should they increase their feed? :!: :!: :!: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Hello everyone, my name is An, nice to meet you.

LBsvail
Power User
Power User

Re: Food for the lovely pigs

Post by LBsvail » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:18 am

Feed what you know and what is easy to get in your area. This is my best advise. We Feed Moormans and it is great feed but we use Sunglo supplements like Sumo, and plus it hard to figure out a new feed and what it does.

Mary-Okie
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Food for the lovely pigs

Post by Mary-Okie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Honestly, the main feed brands are all really good. We feed mainly Sunglo because it is the least expensive of the feeds around us. However, we do feed some Lindner and Showtec. It’s really about getting the right diet for the type of pig you have. Studying the protein and fat content in the feeds is where you should start. If the pig is heavy muscled and hard, then feed a lower protein, higher fat feed. Visa versa for a more moderate framed plainer made one.

Good luck!
Colby Ferguson
Mary-Okie Farm
cferg615@outlook.com

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant