Cougar killed showpigs, have back up pig but is light!! Don't want to give up!!

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
Bigwhiskey

Cougar killed showpigs, have back up pig but is light!! Don't want to give up!!

Post by Bigwhiskey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello all! Need some quick advice. We had two Showpigs that were born in February. They were to be shown at the end of August. I say were because a cougar came into their pen and dragged them through a tight field fence with boards. Have lived here over 12 years and know that cougars were around and close, but never one so bold to come into our pens. Fish and game did find it and took care of the issue. So, long story short, my 12 year old 4H pigs are gone. We are heartbroken. We raise pigs, so we do have others. But they will be younger. We have two that are 95lbs. Question.....we have 54 days until weigh in. Minimum weight is 230lbs. Can I get these guys to that weight or more???? I have purina high octane on hand and have a retailer close. Lets see some formulas!!! I tell my kids, never give up, so I would like to try. Thanks!!!

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Cougar killed showpigs, have back up pig but is light!! Don't want to give up!!

Post by buckibri » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 am

Possible, yes but difficult.

Keep them eating a normal protein ration, do everything you can can to keep them cool. Finnish the last 3 weeks with paylean.

Bigwhiskey

Re: Cougar killed showpigs, have back up pig but is light!! Don't want to give up!!

Post by Bigwhiskey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 am

It took a lot of work, but we did it. We have four days until fair, five days until weigh in. This morning he weighs 236.8lbs. He looks great and I am excited to see him in the showring.

Hard work paid off.