Making own show feed

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
4Hpigs

Making own show feed

Post by 4Hpigs » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:08 am

Hi I’m new here! My dad is pondering on grinding our own show pig feed. Question is what is the best base/mintrate? Will be using corn and soybean mill as the foundation. Does linders make a base/ mintrate?

jerodgoodman

Re: Making own show feed

Post by jerodgoodman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 pm

I like the Purina mixes. There is a showpig base and a showpig premix. They take me a long time to get in my area ,and no one else uses them from the store i buy from, so planning is really important for me. For smaller pigs (under 100 lbs) they are used together, then only the premix is needed. My experience so far has been that my pigs gain really well and feeding to 150 lbs is definitely cheaper, when I need to start feeding supplements and my base feed usage goes down then it becomes less effective to make the feed unless I still have other pigs on full feed. I don't like to make more feed than my pigs can eat in about 30 days so the feed doesn't get old, sometimes this is less if i think i may need to change protein levels soon. I have one grinder that does well with a 500lb batch but getting smaller than that it doesn't seem to mix as well even if it were worth the effort of dragging out. Email Dr. Burgoon (kgb) at Purina, he develops all their swine feed including these mixes and is very helpful. He is actually the main reason I chose Purina over Showrite and Sunglo.