Wanting to expand rib

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
ShowB

Wanting to expand rib

Post by ShowB » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Three pigs weigh 192 lbs, 184 lbs and 182 lbs with 56 days until weigh-in. Pigs have good muscle and definition, but lacking width in their rib. Good shoulder width and good rear width, but narrow in the center and it starts right behind the blade. I read another post that said the area immediately behind the blade can't be helped and it's in the pigs makeup.

Currently feeding per day: 3.0 lbs Launch (20% protein, 1.4% lysine), 4 oz - Cover-All (80% fat), 12 oz - Depth Charge, 8 oz - Champion Drive and 4 oz - Alleviate.

Tomorrow, planning to move up to 20 oz - Depth Charge and 12 oz - Champion Drive (per day) and eliminating the Cover-All just to see what it does for the rib.

Pigs are not showing any signs of getting too tight muscled. They have been gaining on average 1.75 - 2.0 lbs per day. I don't know that I want to back off rate of gain yet since they will likely slow down in the July heat.

I'm not sure I fully understand the idea of adding Cover-All. Are you simply trying to add more fat that you can convert to muscle later on when transitioning to Fitter 35?

What is recommended to feed from now up to show to add rib width and get to 265 - 272 lbs at weigh-in?

pigboy8

Re: Wanting to expand rib

Post by pigboy8 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Gut bomb will help a lot. I would also use some regular beat pulp. That will expand the lower gut. The only shot to fix directly behind blade is junction or game. lowering the protein will cause you to loose a little shape, but it will give you a better chance of successfully blending your pig. You are dealing with a problem that will be hard if possible to fix.
Good Luck