FFA - Hampshire Barrow Diet

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
goreje

FFA - Hampshire Barrow Diet

Post by goreje » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:09 am

I apologize up front for the lengthy first post.
My son is currently raising a pig for his FFA project. We have 70-Days until the show with no weight limits. Today is 12/8/2021 and the show is 2/17/2022.
It is his first year showing and as a family (my wife and I) it has been almost 30-years since either of us has dealt with feed plans and nutrition for show pigs to generate the body and composition needed for a show ring. We have done fairly decent so far and his muscle tone is great. He has broad muscular shoulders/blades, well defined loin up top and his hams are nice, big and muscular.

He has been averaging 1.5 - 1.6 ADG though his FCR isn't where it likely should be (3.83:1). Though we have only been feeding a complete feed (Sunglo 18G) and a small amount of supplement (Sunglo S'more Fill & Sunglo InMotion).

He is LONG and tall. From above he resembles a dog bone. Broad upfront, narrow in the middle and broad again in the back.

My son selected and received his pig 10/2/2021 @ 45 Lbs.
We have been weighing him every Sunday since 10/17.
This past Sunday he weighed in at 147 Lbs.

All feed is weighed on a digital scale.
He was being fed by hand and slopped (evenly divided into two feedings):
6 Lbs. Daily Total
18G - 4 Lbs.
S'More Fill - 1.5 Lbs.
InMotion - 0.5 Lbs.

On 11/5 we also changed his feed plan to now focus on being show ready and filling him out, expanding the rib area as much as we can, fill in his rear flank area and soften him up as much as we can without losing his muscle tone.

Currently (all evenly divided into two feedings by hand):
6.1875 Lbs.
Slop Feed : Sunglo Smooth - 4 Lbs., InMotion - 0.25 Lbs., 4Sure - 0.3125 Lbs., S'More Fill - 0.125 Lbs.
Dry Feed: Ultra Full - 0.5 Lbs., Depth Charge - 0.5 Lbs., Sunglo GameOn - 0.5 Lbs.
With this new diet, he is attacking the slop and nearly licking the feed trough clean. The dry we put out after he finishes the slop, he will eat for a few minutes and be done. We have been leaving the dry feed and letting him eat this on his own time. It is always consumed prior to the next feeding.

Should we continue in this direction (increasing the Ultra Full and Depth Charge weekly by 0.25 Lbs. until we reach 1 Lbs. each per daily feeding?
Any other suggestions. in my experience, Hampshires typically put on muscle fairly easy, it's the fat/cover that you have to work for.

Thanks for any advice/support y'all can extend.
FFA Raiser
Local Jackpots and a Major or two each year
Pigs are usually Hampshire or Blue Butt

kgb
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: FFA - Hampshire Barrow Diet

Post by kgb » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:34 pm

If he’ll eat that much of each yes. Decrease the base feed by the same amount of supplement(s) you increase.
Dr. Kevin Burgoon
Purina® Honor® Show Chow® Nutritionist
http://www.PurinaMills.com/Show-Feed
http://www.facebook.com/HonorShowChow
http://www.twitter.com/HonorShowChow

If you have the power to do good for someone...use it. Proverbs 3:27