Feeding??

Basic nutrition information, show pig, sow, and boar feeding advice
spwrlftr@aol.com

Feeding??

Post by spwrlftr@aol.com » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:01 pm

I feed Lindners as it’s readily available 10 mins from my farm. They don’t have a lot of supple other than a select few. Purina seems to have a large line of them. Certain supplements are supposed to target certain areas, as I understand. My question is do you feed basically all at once or a couple at a time?? I’m going into my third 4-h season and STILL trying to figure it out. Not sure I ever will lol. I’m just now getting ready to wean my first batch. The ones I’m keeping for my girls I’m thinking let them be pigs and feed and from 50-150 just feed them 648 (20%) or like a 672. (18%?) then after that start throwing it to them. Am I thinking right?? Then how do I decide what to feed?? Secondly, I’m going to (hopefully) sell others. How and what would you feed them to make them look their best for sale day. TIA for reading my babble.
Scott

Bbb22206

Re: Feeding??

Post by Bbb22206 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:59 am

Not trying to be mean, but are you asking if you feed all the supplements at once? If that is the case then the answer is almost certainly no. The most important thing is your feed base. You can use multiple supplements at the same time if they aren’t working against each other and most of the time that’s further into the growing phase. You wouldn’t use a fat burner at the same time you use something that is adding fat for example. On the feeds, they have starters that are higher in protein and fat. Just follow that Lindner program and don’t be afraid to call a feed rep. Regarding a grower feed, I personally feed 648 after I buy pigs and sometimes at the end. You would want to stick to 672 or 685 more than likely during the growing period. 672 is a grower and will still add muscle and 685 will drop belly, maintain muscle and also help one along that might be tighter structured. Tons of info on the Lindner website and most feed reps will call you back.

spwrlftr@aol.com

Post by spwrlftr@aol.com » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 am

Not mean at all. That really does help. I feel we have good pigs this year. Better than last and I feel if I can feed them right I feel like we can hang and not look totally stupid. I think my biggest weakness is the ability to look at a show pig and say it needs this or that, if that makes any sense.

bolinger9

Post by bolinger9 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:02 am

"I think my biggest weakness is the ability to look at a show pig and say it needs this or that, if that makes any sense."

Do not be afraid to ask for advice. I see a lot of people post pictures on here, and you will get a lot of feedback. Also, the showpig industry is full of people who are willing to offer help when needed.

I have been around showpigs my whole life and I still ask people what they think. At the end of the day, you need to walk a pig in the ring you think is fed right as judge's opinions are subjective and change from ring to ring.

spwrlftr@aol.com

Post by spwrlftr@aol.com » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks. That makes sense.