Duroc possible stress carrier???

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
albeck

Duroc possible stress carrier???

Post by albeck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

My daughter has a Duroc gilt. Looks great. Lots of muscle and bone. Has been in the pen x 2 weeks because my daughter has been ill. Took her out to walk and was fine. Running around with no signs of obvious distress. Started to notice her back legs get choppy and tight. Turned to take her back to pen and she started screaming, tail twitching, and shaking. She dropped to the ground, her eyes seemed to be bulging, and her hams were extremely tight and her back legs were almost completely straight like tree trunks. We left her alone and let her calm down. She attempted to get up but seemed to be in extreme pain when she attempted to stand on her back legs. We ended up loading her in a cart and taking her back to the barn. She will get better and start walking around pen, eating, and acting normal then all of a sudden do the exact same thing as the episode described above. I am at a loss. Have never seen/experienced this before. Am planning on having her tested to see if she is stress + or a carrier but does anyone have any suggestions as to help her situation with medications? I would love to try to get her over these spells in hopes she might be able to show. THANKS!!!

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Duroc possible stress carrier???

Post by HogDoc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:20 am

A registered Duroc should not be a stress gene carrier but I know there are some carrier non papered Durocs for southwest barrow shows.
This sounds more like one that is tying up from lactic acid buildup. There are some things you can do to help them. Our TrueGlo product helps a lot of these pigs and in severe cases we recommend adding lactanase.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

albeck

Post by albeck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks so much for the information on TruGlo. Is there anything special about the Lactanase? What I found on the internet was a horse supplement. Just wanted to verify this is the correct supplement. Thanks again!

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 am

It is a horse supplement. Sullivan sells it and it helps prevent lactic acid buildup in the muscles. If you decide to give it a try ping me and I'll give you the way we use it.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com

SwineMomma

Post by SwineMomma » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:02 pm

Is there a withdrawal period for the lactanase? The package says not for use in animals intended for human consumption.

nflga

Post by nflga » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 am

HogDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 am
It is a horse supplement. Sullivan sells it and it helps prevent lactic acid buildup in the muscles. If you decide to give it a try ping me and I'll give you the way we use it.
Hogdoc, I’m a new user and am interested to know about how you use the lactanace on Showpigs. We have a cross barrow that looks great but is super tight, especially if we use any electrolytes on show day. Looking for something to help with this. Not just a muscle bound pig, but you can see that his muscle function and range of motion is odd compared to our other pigs handled the same way.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 am

Follow the same timing as the directions on the label but since the envelope is for a 1200 lb horse instead of a 300 lb pig use about 1/4 of the envelope per dose. An easy way to do that is mix the entire envelope in a bottle of dextrose and then feed 125 ml each time.

Some clients have switched to using Lactalex since it comes in a paste and it's easier to dose.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com