Watery diarrhea in 4 month old barrow

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
dbknoppdvm

Watery diarrhea in 4 month old barrow

Postby dbknoppdvm » Tue May 08, 2018 11:28 am

I have a 4 month old barrow with profuse watery diarrhea. He is the only one showing symptoms in a pen of four. All four pigs were treated with Baytril and Dex for 3 days, and given dectomax. I've added oats to his feed, they are currently free feeding moormans 18% protein 7% fat. No fever, acting normal. The only unusual thing that I have noticed, is when we take him out of his pen into the pasture for a walk he voraciously devours the pasture grasses. I don't know if that's a sign of anything or not? What next?

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Re: Watery diarrhea in 4 month old barrow

Postby BerkBabe » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I would have a fecal done (if you haven't already) and check for other parasites such as coccidia.

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm

That's a good idea. We did probiotics and pepto yesterday, and it is still pouring out of him.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Postby HogDoc » Wed May 09, 2018 5:12 pm

In a four month old pig the most common two reasons for scours are ileitis and Salmonella. But three days of Baytril would sure make antibiotic induced scours a possibility.
I'd try running some acid pak 4 way to start.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm

What is acid pak 4 way? I am not familiar with that. He is just pouring diarrhea out, and the 3 pen mates are normal. He is eating and drinking ok for now, but I know that is just a matter of time if I can't get him slowed down. He had the diarrhea before we gave him the Bayril. The Baytril was given at the recommendation of a swine vet. His pen mate had soft stool which firmed up with the Baytril, but this barrow is worse if anything. I have been giving ProBios and Pepto once a day since yesterday, but have not noticed any difference at all.

Is there any indication at this point for Tylan powder?
Last edited by dbknoppdvm on Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Postby HogDoc » Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 am

Tylan is a common ileitis treatment and I'd probably go with that at this point.

Acid Pak 4 way is an acidified electrolyte solution. You can use it or our acidified electrolyte TruePurple. I just thought there was a better chance you had Acid pak on hand.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 am

Thank you. I don't have anything on hand at this point, it is only our 2nd year with 4H pigs, and haven't ever had anything like this! I am a small animal veterinarian, but lost on how to address this poor guy. I misspoke too, the barrow is 3 months old if that changes anything...and now the penmate that cleared up with the Baytril is getting soft again. :(

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Postby HogDoc » Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 am

The age isn't a big issue as far as the scours differential goes. I suspect if you get them on Tylan and electrolytes this problem resolves pretty quickly. If it were Salmonella the chances are that the Baytril would have resolved it.

Just as an aside I try to avoid repeating Baytril like that in young growing show pigs because of the potential for cartilage damage. Some of them can get pretty sore.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh lovely. Same as in dogs. Sure hope we haven't hurt anybody! Should we add a joint supplement? When will I know if there has been damage? My heart just sank to my toes.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Postby HogDoc » Fri May 11, 2018 11:27 am

I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. If it happens it's usually pretty quick (within a day or two) I meant it just as more of an FYI.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am

Oh I hope so! We have had such a tough year this year (coughing, enlarged mammary lymph node, mange, sneezy/snotty, diarrhea)! Who knew that 4 little pampered 4H pigs could cause so much headache. I started the Tylan in the water yesterday at 250mg/gal. Should I add it to the feed as well? Also, how long before I should see a response? I'm getting a little desperate to get him firmed up. :?

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Postby BerkBabe » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

HogDoc - can you mix TruePurple (or the Acid Pack 4 Way) and Tylan into the waterer at the same time?

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 pm

BerkBabe, he told me to mix them together in the drinking water. :)

BerkBabe
Power User
Power User

Postby BerkBabe » Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks dbknoppdvm! Did the mixture work for your barrow?

dbknoppdvm

Postby dbknoppdvm » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Yes! He started to clear up right away and is back to normal. Hooray!!

Return to “HEALTH”