Jaw wound Hogdoc?

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
abelkrista

Jaw wound Hogdoc?

Post by abelkrista » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 pm

We got back from vacation and found that our breeding Gilt had a large rip wound on her lip. Looks like she got something in her mouth and ripped and or punctured and ripped. Large piece of fat and then a fissure wound that goes from outside to the inside of her lip. Had vet come out he stuck his finger in to make sure that it didn't go into a pallet told us that pigs heal refreshingly well and he wouldn't do anything for it. Just watch it. He didn't clean it or even look good at it I cleaned it and within 36 hours it has necrotic fluffy grey moist tissue on the outside of the large area that it ripped. I've been rinsing it with peroxide vetericyn gel I have fads cream if needed. I think she needs at least a shot of antibiotics just to mitigate the risk of osteomyelitis. Not sure if that necrotic tissue needs trimmed off or if it will just die and fall off like when you band a male. That mention we could give her a shot of drops and be thought it was a waste of money is draxxin the choice I should go with? I'm headed to the vet now to ask for a shot of antibiotic. Not sure what else to do with her have pictures not sure how to post them though. In a human i would not be comfortable with this wound would be trying to debride it somehow having trouble keeping any calcium alginate or autolytic debridement in the wound for any long. Of time though

kat3311
Power User
Power User

Re: Jaw wound Hogdoc?

Post by kat3311 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Have never had a wound that bad on a hog before. But always thought draxxin as the best choice.
"If you can laugh at yourself you'll have a lifetime of entertainment."

abelkrista

Post by abelkrista » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks for the input kat3311!

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:08 pm

I'd agree with your veterinarian that these kinds of wounds generally heal well. The main thing to watch for is an abscess. Nothing wrong with flushing it and clean water is as good as anything. If the pig were in my barn I'd just make sure I used water under pressure in that area when he was in the wash rack.

In terms of the antibiotic Draxxin has much lower systemic levels than its concentration in the lung. It wouldn't be my first choice for a wound like this. If I used an antibiotic I'd be inclined to use an older class antibiotic like LA 200 or 300 rather than the ones we go to for pigs with serious respiratory or other issues.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

abelkrista

Post by abelkrista » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks HogDoc. We have been with the hose, thankfully she isn't fightung us much. The necrosis seems to be sloughing itself and healing. Amazing that it is taking care of itself without infection.