need help HogDoc

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

need help HogDoc

Post by futurepigbreeder » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 am

my four month old gilt isn't putting any weight on her back right leg she has it lifted off the ground. after some poking around I found shes sore in the flank area and doesn't like it at all when I try to move her leg around. yesterday evening (when we first saw it) we put bigeloil all over her ham and leg and set our cold laser on it. this morning nothings seemed to change and now her other rear leg is tired from holding all her rear weight. do you know what this could be?? sprained or even dislocated maybe??

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Re: need help HogDoc

Post by futurepigbreeder » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 am

Update: around her hock is hot and swollen and she has a temperature of 105.0

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 am

Day three and all is still the same I’m starting to wonder if she’s broken anything. Thoughts? :cry:

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 am

With a fever and joint issues I'd be more more concerned about infectious arthritis than trauma. You should call your veterinarian and have them take a look. If you wanted to treat the pig with a broad spectrum antibiotic in the meantime that wouldn't be the worst idea.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

So get this I go to take one of my other gilts for her evening walk and she’s developed a limp definitely nothing compared to the first pig but it’s there. If it is infectious arthritis what’s the best antibiotics to treat it with and how long is recovery? We live in a area where there are more horse vets than livestock vets so it’s near impossible to get a vet out to look at these pigs.

ukiahswine

Post by ukiahswine » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Lincomycin 300 and dexamethasone for 4 days asap

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 am

Thank you so much another of my gilts isn’t acting like herself this morning (that’s 3/5 pigs sick) so I’m going to treat her to. I have two other pigs in the barn should I go ahead and treat them to

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:16 am

It’s currently day 6 the first pig that came down with it is still in the same condition ( not putting weight on her back right leg, sore hock and it hurts her to stretch her foot forward ) and still has a slight fever ( 103.4 ) . The other two gilts that started showing symptoms have been acting like they’re normal selves and have normal temp. We started lyco as soon as we got it (November 6) and have been giving that and dex. We’ve given banamine when fevers are high. I’m worried about the first pig does anybody have advice?

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 am

HogDoc wrote:With a fever and joint issues I'd be more more concerned about infectious arthritis than trauma. You should call your veterinarian and have them take a look. If you wanted to treat the pig with a broad spectrum antibiotic in the meantime that wouldn't be the worst idea.
The bold remains my advice.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 pm

HogDoc if I could get a vet out I definitely would. I live in Florida where most of agriculture centers around race horses and hunter jumpers and those vets don’t want nothing to do with pigs. Last year I had a pig with a umbilical hernia and all the vets we called refused to see us....

CLVR

Post by CLVR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Where in Florida are you located

futurepigbreeder
Power User
Power User

Post by futurepigbreeder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Central Florida, around the Marion county area