Help with salt toxicity/Dex dosage in pot belly pig

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
steffys_funnyfarm

Help with salt toxicity/Dex dosage in pot belly pig

Post by steffys_funnyfarm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am

Hi all! I'm new to the board, and this is my first post!

I have a Pot Belly pig with salt toxicity. Unfortunately I'm in an area that has no vets that will see a Pot Belly, so I'm doing my best to help her on my own.

The research that I've done and some people with mini pig experience have suggested I give her Dexamethazone (to reduce hey neurological symptoms), which I have for my horses. Can anyone recommend dosage? She's roughly 80 lbs.

And also, would Banamine be at all beneficial to her at this point?

Quick overview...about 48 hrs ago I noticed she was off. One of the other pigs is notorious for dumping their water. Given that she seemed suddenly blind, wandering aimlessly, head pressing etc, we concluded salt toxicity was most likely. She is not interested in eating/drinking on her own, so I've slowly been giving her fluids orally for almost 48 hrs now. I knew not to do it fast and make the problem worse. She's now back to peeing and pooping and can stand and walk a little, though still neurological. The only other thing I can think of to do for her at this point (until I hopefully find a vet that will see her) is to give Dex. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Help with salt toxicity/Dex dosage in pot belly pig

Post by HogDoc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:45 am

Slowly hydrating them is about all you can do. I have never had much success using corticosteroids or nsaids on these.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo