Travel help

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
dingdar
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Travel help

Post by dingdar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Pigs have been on TrueGlo for 120 days. Just travelled 14 hours but been on truck 24 hours. Pigs won’t eat. What am I missing? I used TrueGlo and vita charge along with trupurple. What can I do differently so these pigs will stay on feed?

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Travel help

Post by HogDoc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 am

I've gotten a number of calls from a couple customers and several others the last couple days about the same thing going on at ANLS. Thankfully someone told me you posted here otherwise the chance that I would have stumbled on your question in a timely manner is next to zero.
I'm not sure what exactly is going on down there. The pigs that I've talked about were not running a temp coughing etc. and some had traveled as long as you or more and others less. Were they eating and drinking when you stopped along the way to Phoenix or when you were waiting in line? If not you may have some stomach / early ulcer issues. The numbers are still 80% of pigs off feed 24 hours are at risk of ulcer development.

I talked with one customer that had a barrow that was eating a drinking just fine in line and then quit when they got inside. They were going to go drain some water from home out of the trailer tank and see if that was the deal. I have not talked to them since so I'm thinking that may have worked.

You need to avoid Bismuth (pepto bismol) It can cross react and show a positive test for aspirin. If you're going to treat them he right thing is to talk with the official vet there and see if they can help. You can also try feeding straight oats for a feeding and see if that gets them started. If you have more questions call the number that was on the card inside the box of product or the office number and we'll try to talk through it more.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

dingdar
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Travel help

Post by dingdar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks hogdoc. The gilt is back to at least nibbling on feed. The others have bounced back at eating well. As for the drive and waiting in line she didn’t eat much. I’ll give you a call if things turn worse as for now I think she is slowly bouncing back.