Lactic Acid Build Up ***HogDoc question***

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
kshannon3

Lactic Acid Build Up ***HogDoc question***

Post by kshannon3 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:27 pm

Hello, I'm a new member but a longtime lurker. I would greatly appreciate HogDoc's help.

I have a heavily muscled show pig that weighed 176.4lbs. last Sunday that had a bad episode tonight when I tried walking him. Classic lactic acid build up symptoms. Spoke with my breeder and he said he'd had one like this before and he had us give a half a teaspoon of baking soda in his feed.

My question is, I read a thread here where HogDoc recommended TrueGlo and in severe cases lactanase. I would greatly appreciate any advice and dosing/feeding/administering information available as I couldn't readily find any. I would have messaged you as you asked the original poster on that thread to, but since I'm a new member, I dont have access to that function yet.

Thank you so much for any and all help. This is my last year showing and I really want to see this guy pull through and make a comeback. I'm willing to put in the money and work. Again, thank you.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Lactic Acid Build Up ***HogDoc question***

Post by HogDoc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 am

Hi Someone gave me a heads up this post was here. I don't look in as much as I used too and I've been dealing with some health related issues of my own so I'm glad they did.

1. The baking soda is a good idea
2. TrueGlo has two different ingredients that have been researched and demonstrated to increase the amount of time of aerobic muscle contraction contraction. Lactic acid is a result of muscles working anaerobically.
3. Lactanase contains Alpha Lipoid Acid which also increases aerobic muscle contraction. The whole punch is meant for a horse so I'd give a pig 1/5 to 1/4 of a pouch. Some people are using Lactilex which is just a different brand but comes in a paste so it's easier to dose.
4. Supplements are just part of the answer you'll need to exercise your way through this deal too. Push until you start to see him get short stride and then stop. Over time you should be able to drive linger.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo