Recovering pneumonia, will only lick dirt

General swine health questions, bio-security, vet recommendations
dtc

Recovering pneumonia, will only lick dirt

Post by dtc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm

70 lb show pig has been fighting pneumonia (or something respiratory) for almost 2 weeks (the last week most severe). Has had multiple days of multiple antibiotics with vet direction, so his tummy is probably quite upset. Throughout entire week we have tried all sorts of feed and toppings, yogurt, hay and dirt (vet told me to long ago if tummy is upset), etc. Gave him some probios paste several times.
Monday-Thursday: very very sick, ate absolutely nothing, did keep enough liquid in him that was still peeing. (we thought he was a goner Wednesday night when panting for breath)
Thursday: obviously felt some better, drank pretty good
Friday: drank well, ate a little (maybe 3/4 cup total): first feed in 5 days
Saturday: drinking, up walking, not eating anything substantial.
The entire week we've tried to walk him a little in the aisle. All week, and particularly today, he is very interested in licking dust. Off the cement floor. Off the wood. Vigorously. He did finally eat some oats off the floor. I gave him actual soil from garden (again, vet told me that helps get bacteria in the gut) and he licked that. He has lots of fresh shavings in his pen but has no interest in eating or licking that.
Any suggestions, other than continue all of above? He has not had antibiotic since Wednesday. He may need some more to get him completely well but I'm thinking should focus on tummy and feed.
Thanks in advance!