Barrow interaction

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
purduefan89
Power User
Power User

Barrow interaction

Post by purduefan89 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:39 pm

I had one of my barrows in pen next to two of my gilts. My duroc gilt appears to becoming in heat and my barrow has been going crazy. Is this normal? He was born here and personally castrated him and i know i got both testicles.

ssb
Power User
Power User

Post by ssb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Sometimes other pigs will act excited around females in heat. Our sows sometimes will mount each other, generally it's the more dominant sows that will get on top of the ones in heat. It's all the pheromones and surging hormones. Rarely some barrows do have 3 testicles, but this is very unlikely. More likely there might be some extra testicular tissue left over inside from the castration. If it's the right kind, it can cause increased testosterone production. I even once had a barrow that could still get an erection and the pen mate barrow would nibble on it. I named them Dick and Teeth.

gidkid
Power User
Power User

Post by gidkid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 pm

SSB is correct testicular cord can keep testosterone levels up enough to have the barrow excited Mounting and in some cases sustaining an erection.
Some breeders cut cords right below the testicle this leaves cord intact some believe it enhances Barrow muscle others pull testicle and cord completely out. Both ways work and both have pros and cons.
The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital.
-Joe Paterno

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself
-Paul Bryant

DrAmy
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by DrAmy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm

As for the barrow getting a bit rowdy with a gilt in heat, that can be normal for a barrow - just a behavioral thing. But there can also be a testicle issue. It is possible for some testicular tissue to remain after castration. However, I find this rather rare. By the way, I am not convinced that pigs ever are born with three testicles. I have seen multiple "barrows" mounting and even extending their penis. And, of course, I have been told that two testicles were removed from these pigs for sure. However, the only option I give for these pigs is exploratory surgery to search for a testicle. Guess what - I have always found one in the abdomen!

champ2000

Re: Barrow interaction

Post by champ2000 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 pm

I had a crypt boar. I took it to the vet and I saw her cut 1 nut out of the belly and then she cut the other nut out. 2 nuts out. I saw these with my own eyes. The other day why training I looked over in the pen and saw his penis out alittle bit. Wtf. What do I do? How can this happen? Of course this is my best one!!