First litter gilt 5 days over

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
TSJ
Power User
Power User

First litter gilt 5 days over

Post by TSJ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

We have a first litter gilt that is 5 days over, was due on 1-12-13 for a 114 day gestation. I have read some people give lutalyse and some recommend Estrumate. Should I give any? If so which one? How much? And where is the best place to give it?

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: First litter gilt 5 days over

Post by mtbkmom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm

We give Lutalyse 1 cc right next to the vulva--not on the vulva..next to it at about 3 or 6 O'clock with a inch needle. Your vet will have to label it that way...it is excreted in the lungs so giving near the reproductive tract it is right where it needs to be and by passes the lungs excretion as readily so that is why you need less and it works more directly that way. If your vet won't label that way, then 2 cc in the neck.

Give it very early in the morning because it takes around 24-more like 30 hours for our gilts to go into full blown labor. That way they are farrowing right in the middle of the day so your vet or other friends can be available for help/telephone (and this time of year--it is warmer the middle part of the day).

Also, expect some pretty close to immediate nesting behavior when you give the shot, then it settles down and then the next day you will definitley have for real nesting behavior.

I know Lutalyse is labeled for swine induction...not sure about Estrumate.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

dingdar
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by dingdar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm

i have read here before that ppl give 2 doses. What about that?

Piggy
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Piggy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm

If your gilt is 5 days late, I would re-consider using lute, as I believe you have your breeding date wrong. Just my opinion, or either she is not bred. Piggy

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 am

2 cc if giving in the neck, 1 cc if giving in the muscle nest to the vulva.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by mtbkmom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 am

Where is she at with farrowing? Did she have a litter or was she not bred?