Gilt won't stand

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Phoenix-Rising

Re: Gilt won't stand

Post by Phoenix-Rising » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:05 pm

iagenetics wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 am
Have a cross gilt that has cycled three times before. She has cycled 21 days every time. Well naturally when i go to order semen she waits until about day 24 to show mucus but won't stand. She is mounting every other gilt in the lot too. I feel like her back legs might be a little sensitive to pressure on her back so this is why she wont consistently stand but her ears aren't going back at all. She just kinda stands there until you put too much pressure then she runs away. Should i just go ahead and stick a rod in her and breed on an 18 hour interval? Also, does the texture or color of mucus indicate when they are most fertile?
I'm no expert... but my crossbreed gilt wont stand either... I've tried boar spray (a teaser boar isn't a option for my one gilt 4H project) and other stimulation... and rubbing her sides doesn't work cause she just rolls over for a belly rub.
I just wrapped up A.I. today with a breed and feed technique and ordered my Match Maker semen the day her discharge appeared. So we shall she but don't be discouraged some gilts (and sows) aren't standers
My gilt Jenga's dam isn't a stander either!
Phoenix__rising :D :mrgreen:

Pumpkinpatchexotics

Re: Gilt won't stand

Post by Pumpkinpatchexotics » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 pm

I also have a gilt 4 years old won't stand she is pb Juliana she is in standing heat ready to go. Have a bore trying to breed her but soon as he gets in she sits and he falls out. She will not let you touch her back there where she was fine leading up to this date as I did the thumb and sit tests. Idk what to do to keep her up for him to just finish. No clue where to even get ai for a Juliana pig but got 2 bores same racction from her what can I do this is my first pig breeding