Where to inject lutalyse

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
whatwasIthinking
Power User
Power User

Where to inject lutalyse

Post by whatwasIthinking » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:42 pm

I ran into an interesting situation helping a friend prepare for farrowing her second litter. She wanted to induce to insure her sow would have the litter during the weekend when she was out of school. Her sow was at day 113 From the "LAST" day of breeding so I was not concerned with being too early. I gave the sow 2CC's IM in the neck. 23 hours later we were delivering a beautiful litter of 14. No problems, everything good. It was brought to my attention at that time, that injecting Lutalyse in the neck area has a negative impact on the sows lungs. I have never heard this before, and spent some time researching this. When I use Oxy, I will use the vulva area, but have not given lutalyse in the vulva before. I was also told giving Oxy in the neck can have an adverse affect of the lungs as well. Anyone heard this before? I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Where to inject lutalyse

Post by HogDoc » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Lutalyse does cause bronchi constriction and oxytocin causes smooth muscle contractions but the injection site is not the reason for the effect.
There is some logic to what you heard since you can use lower doses of both drugs to get the same effect when they are injected near the vulva so the lower dose results in less severe constriction.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

whatwasIthinking
Power User
Power User

Re: Where to inject lutalyse

Post by whatwasIthinking » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Thank You, Hog Doc, I can now assure my friend that we did nothing wrong