Brand new need help

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Ivyridge

Brand new need help

Post by Ivyridge » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Hello all. I am brand new to breeding pigs. This is my first year. We have a single gilt and i am struggling to detect heat signs. She is the kind of sweet girl who stands still for you because you put a hand on her. Here is my question. In my goats we use Cidrs , pull them and 48-50hrs later they come in to heat. Is there something similar I could use for this gilt. I want to order the semen but i don't want it to go to waste if i cant detect the heat. Suggestions please.

notURstandardshowpig

Re: Brand new need help

Post by notURstandardshowpig » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Unfortunitly, in swine there is not. If you don't have a boar you will need to use a boar spray to check her. Look for signs of pending heat cycle swelling or redness in the vulva area. Once you notice these signs spray a bit of the boar spray morning and night -- if she is in she will lock-up and her ears will go back. Keep records when she came in, how long she was in and days between cycles (typically 21 days) You will need this down the road. Hope this helps.

Charliepig
Power User
Power User

Re: Brand new need help

Post by Charliepig » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Really helps to have a boar around. But no boar use spray. She should get to where she not only stands still, but locks up and will not move. Push her from behind and she's locked up. And her ears will "pop". That means they wiggle together upward regularly. Her vulva will be swelled for 2-3 days before this all happens and will get some mucus. That should get you pretty close. Get 3 or 4 doses of a cheap boar your first couple times. Order it on overrun. Hope that helps.