Putting sows together

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
maddog
Power User
Power User

Putting sows together

Post by maddog » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 am

I'm thinking about grouping all my sows together, is there anything I can do to keep them from fighting?

carpspigs
Power User
Power User

Re: Putting sows together

Post by carpspigs » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:39 pm

I herd that if you spray perfume in there noses so they all smell the same they wont fight .

LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Post by LazyRYhogs » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:22 am

I have had good luck with groups of 3 or 4 by putting them in pens next to each other for a couple of weeks. Make sure they are not crowded. Introduce one pen mate at a time and let them settle a couple of weeks before the next room mate. There will be argumentS! Stay out of the way. I would also consider temperaments of the group. I have had the least success when adding a younger alpha gilt to sows. Big fights. I have 1/2 acre pens. It gets cold at night. They soon are sleeping all nestled up. Feeding at separate corners of the pen is a must or someone gets thin / fat.

Bred sows are best together as fighting increases with heat cycles. I also have one sow that rides the one in heat. She caused one sow to slip on the ice and pull a muscle in her groin. Good luck. It can be done . Don't rush them.

wfanderson4

Post by wfanderson4 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Spray them alll down with prolate before you put them together. It will get rid of any mange and also makes them smell the same.