First cycle question pre breed!

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
SwineGuy89
Power User
Power User

First cycle question pre breed!

Post by SwineGuy89 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:55 pm

I have a gilt who cycled on the 22nd of September, (her first heat ) and I plan to breed her the 14th assuming she is standing (she will come back in the 13th (estimated) but her first heat she short cycled me 1st day was swellin with no stand response second day no stand response (checked in evening couldn't make it in the morning ) and third day no stand in response and leaving heat. Is it not uncommon for gilts to have a shirt first cycle? I did use boar spray as well. She lost swelling after her first day however, gradually it reduced in swelling on the second day to virtually no swelling the third day. So I'm assuming she short cycled, or maybe she stood the 2nd day in the morning when I couldn't check her or if the boar scent is not effective on her? (I plan to go to a friends boar and rub a rag in its saliva/urine/body to collect real scent to use on her this next go around. Again, is a first short cycle common? Thanks in advance.
It's not all about being the heaviest muscled hog, Its about balance.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Re: First cycle question pre breed!

Post by Delangworthy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

I had a berk gilt with same visual signs as you described. The swelling strong first day, less the 2nd and gone the 3rd. My berk stood however, I didn't get the semen until third day when there was no swelling. I fed and bred with a deep uterine catheter and she stuck with one dose. Would not stand the next morning. I would feed and breed your gilt day two and day three evenings.

SwineGuy89
Power User
Power User

Post by SwineGuy89 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Thank you for the reply and i/m sure the last post was hard to follow as i was on my phone so i apologize for that.So yes, i plan to check for a stand response, should she not stand i will go ahead and breed and feed, and the intervals you said sound good to be so thanks, did your berk have any discharge? i did not notice any from my gilt in her first heat?
It's not all about being the heaviest muscled hog, Its about balance.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Discharge was minimal.