How to get high litter counts with Gilt?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
cashmere
Power User
Power User

How to get high litter counts with Gilt?

Post by cashmere » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:57 am

I am going to breed my exotic gilt soon. I have been feeding her about 7 to 8 pounds of feed a day. I will pg 600 her about 3 or 4 days away from when she will come in heat. she will be about 7 and half months old when I breed her. And I will put 2 doses in her. What other things can I do to help get a high litter count?

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: How to get high litter counts with Gilt?

Post by Norm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:35 am

Probably need to speak with a local vet or swine professional regarding vaccination protocols. Parvo, lepto would be basics. Keep her in a trim body condition. Even with the best genetics, herd health, etc.cross gilts can have conception and farrowing issues and you only have twins. Good luck.

mtbkmom
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: How to get high litter counts with Gilt?

Post by mtbkmom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Not knowing what her baseline body condition score is (BCS), 7-8 lbs/day sounds excessive to me. Needs to be about 2.5 to 2.75 BCS. Immediately following insemination and for at least the next 30 days she should only get 4 lbs/day of feed so the embryos do not "burn" up with excessive calories/higher metabolic rate. Prebreeding vaccinations. No stress or changes in environment day 7-40 following breeding.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."--I Am Second.