2nd dose PG600

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

2nd dose PG600

Post by Rway » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:48 pm

I had three gilts that I PG600 about two months ago. They cycled but I wanted to wait a cycle. No sign of cycle 2 or 3 after the PG600 cycle. So basicaly just experimenting I dosed them with a 6cc dose (5cc is normal) wouldn't you know they are in process of cycling. 13 other hogs cycled normal for me, except these three. I had been told that a cycling hog would do nothing if redosed with PG600. So why did these three start and stop?

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: 2nd dose PG600

Post by HogDoc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:36 am

If I understand what happened the three gilts were anestrus after the initial cycle making them perfect candidates for pg600
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: 2nd dose PG600

Post by Rway » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:14 am

Hog Doc,

Correct they were, but they had no reason to be. No change in conditions, feeding or major factors to stop them cycling. They are healthy and growing well - all three are gilts. It was just weird that these were three of four that I PG600 originally and brought in and had to do it again to get another cycle (three cycles later). My fear is that I may have something that I am mistaking for pregnant, that is just not cycling also. I can not figure what sent these three into non-cycling phase. I never PG600 a second time. The only reason I did this time, is because I chart their mucus levels with a Draminski and I noted that they were all staying in the same range - which can be typical of a pregnant hog, but not a hog that is cycling. But since I never put a dose in these hogs, I knew they were not pregnant. I guess from now on I will assume I have hogs not cycling and re-dose them again. The good news is they came in real well with the use of PG600, a trailer ride, and teaser boar beating on them. Hopefully they stuck.

Ed