Want to give this gilt one last try.

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Want to give this gilt one last try.

Post by AndreB57 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:32 pm

I have a duroc gilt that has not been in standing heat yet. She is 8 months old. Her vulva has swollen and went down and I thought she was going to be standing. Took her to boar and nothing then a few days later it went down. It has happened three times. I gave her lute and pg then waited and still nothing. Any thing else I can try for last hope before I give up on her and send her off? She cost me a good amount that is why I have given her so many chances. Any advise?

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Want to give this gilt one last try.

Post by buckibri » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 pm

In rare cases gilts or sows won't stand when in heat even with fence line contact.

Try putting her in with the boar no see if she stands, if he gets her going you can then breed her.

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:31 am

In addition to the good advice on stimulating her more it is not uncommon for gilts that have been fitted for show to develop ovarian cysts. You can often confirm them with ultrasound but a lot of veterinarians will go ahead and treat them based on the symptoms. Discuss it with your vet. Giving her a dose of cystorelin won't hurt anything if she is cycling and may we'll solve the problem if she developed cysts.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Post by AndreB57 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am

How much cystorelin should I give her?

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by HogDoc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 pm

2 ml
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

LazyRYhogs
Power User
Power User

Post by LazyRYhogs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 am

You might be trying to soon. I am not an expert but have had a few Durocs. The duroc sow I have now also is difficult to read. She has a large amount of swelling and mucus. The swelling is nearly gone before she stands. She was sold to me because the larger producer could get her caught. Her babies are beautiful and it has been worth the extra time and nail biting.

AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Post by AndreB57 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:34 pm

I have seen a ton of swelling but have not seen any mucus at all. Could this be due to a cyst on the ovaries? I have a young lady that is really attached to her so that is why we are trying everything we can to get her bred.