Pregtone on Gilt

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Shrkfinn

Pregtone on Gilt

Post by Shrkfinn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:43 am

Hello all! I have a gilt that I bred 9/26, she has not come back into heat and pregtone rang positive on day 26 and 35 on the right side. We are now at 49 days bred and I cannot get a positive tone on the right side but can on the left. I read that they have less fluid and more baby at this stage of the game but am still concerned. Why would it sound positive on one side and not the other. And no I am not hitting the bladder, I am pointed forward and across not up or back. Any input would be appreciated. :D

cah
Power User
Power User

Re: Pregtone on Gilt

Post by cah » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:42 am

I had this problem a week ago ! Try to tone check on that side different times if the day . I seem to get good tones after they ate !

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Rway » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:59 pm

You might want to make sure you are pointing in the right direction. It is easy to pick up the bladder if you are not pointing it correctly. I use plenty of corn oil as the lube. If you can catch the gilt or sow after she has urinated you are less likely to get the bladder tone.

Shrkfinn

Post by Shrkfinn » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Well had the vet out to ultrasound and she is full of little piggies. Vet said she is carrying pretty low so I may have been too high and not getting a tone. ☺️ Also had her US our other two girls and they confirmed my positive pregtone on them as well. All is good in our barn and we will have a very busy late January/Early February.