Bred and still showing heat cycles?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
jayden1
Power User
Power User

Bred and still showing heat cycles?

Post by jayden1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:30 pm

One in every crowd!.I have 10 breeding age gilts and have 9 of them settled.......the 10th gilt is puzzling to say the least.....serviced on Sept 17,18 and again on Oct 8 and 9....my notes in the breeding book indicate an Excellent draw of semen on two doses total per cycle......yesterday this gilt has a mucousy discharge in the am and appears a bit swollen....got the boar out and she was very interested but wouldn't stand......same thing last night......this morning she's up at the gate looking for him.....i get him out and he mounts her and she stands.....he plays around mounting and dismounting a couple times and the gilt walks off......spent 20 minutes with this boar working on her flanks steadily and she refused to let him mount her again.......to me this gilt has an underline that is developing very nicely for a gilt due in early January....i mean it is very apparent.....what are the odds she is in fact bred aNd just showing some kind of false heat........i track 21 days from breeding and am very vigilant even after they have gone by 21 days ......scarred to "feed and breed" AI in this situation.......any advise would be helpful.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Bred and still showing heat cycles?

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:44 am

I'd skip the AI, it seems good money after bad. Would double check notes and who checked heat on Halloween, she's right on schedule if not bred. One option is to find someone with an ultrasound, a little past ideal, but a proper tech should be able to see something if she is pregnant. Second scenario is she conceived, but failed to implant. It is why most folks have breeding date guidelines for moving and mixing groups. Third option would be to feed an additional month and look for more outward signs. Be careful she just isn't getting fat. Final option is to cull, two breeding cycles, goofy heat response, no stand - there is no shame in the cull decision. When I went to school anything 90%and up was an A, congratulations.

jayden1
Power User
Power User

Post by jayden1 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:54 am

Thankyou Norm.......checked her again last night and same thing....boar mounts a couple times and then she's off and rolling again......but yet she comes back to him just won't let him mount again. this is a young boar that has had some issues covering gilts live so we just simply collect him and then AI them......but i'm scared to put a rod into that cervix if she really is bred......and this never happens to a nickel sob, gotta be one of the good ones.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Norm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Just remember the good ones breed AI every time. Trust your program.

jayden1
Power User
Power User

Post by jayden1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 pm

quick update......this gilt did go on and stand,collected the boar and inseminated her...she was only in standing heat for 5.5 hours....so we'll see!