No lock with cervix during AI

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
joelt

No lock with cervix during AI

Post by joelt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

We have a sow that just weaned her second litter. On the day of weaning we gave a shot of PG600. Four days later she exhibited redness some swelling and a clear discharge. On day 5 she would kind of stand but didn't respond to back pressure like she previously did. On day 6 I decided to try and AI since semen was 3 days old at this point. Normally spirette catheter would go in about 8 or 9 inches then lock with the cervix. This time it went in way past that. Just about the whole catheter went in and I never felt the cervix. The same results were found the next day on the second dose. So my question is could her cervix been dilated or open that the catheter tip could go through ? Or was there possible damage to her during her last farrowing?
Should I check at some point to see if her cervix closed back up ? Or just wait to see if it stuck and she cycles again.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: No lock with cervix during AI

Post by Norm » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm

My thoughts on the questions.
It's possible.
Maybe.
No.
Yes.

How did the semen get old if you weaned her? Sounds like you should have split the shipment. Wean on Monday or Thursday and order semen from the next collection. Ensures freshest possible semen when you are trying to rebreed sows.

Also may be condition related, sows that have been nursed hard and too thin can have problems. May need an additional cycle to get back to a better condition. It's why folks wean at 3-4 weeks.

joelt

Post by joelt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:27 am

I weaned on Monday, got semen from Thursday collection so I received Friday. With typical return to estrus being 3 to 7 days, I figured timing would be good. Comment about condition could have some merit. Piglets were nursing for 5 weeks. I left them on her a little long trying to time the rebreed for pigs the ideal age for our county fair. Guess 1 week older would have been better than 3 weeks younger. Thanks

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Norm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:48 pm

You're doing the right things, she may conceive. Lots of good sows look thin, but breed right back. Use the gestation period to gain back condition without being over weight.