What's Wrong?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
GrubaughSG
Power User
Power User

What's Wrong?

Post by GrubaughSG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a Gilt that is due today. She never came back in heat and got a very positive read on the preg tone. The problem is she is not showing much at all. We moved her into the crate and her belly dropped a couple inches and her teats started to puff up. Now nothing. Teats stopped dropping and no progress is being made? Did she abort the litter mid term and is carrying them full term or what? Anyone else have similar stories or know what is going on? Thanks

KellyKidShowPigs

Re: What's Wrong?

Post by KellyKidShowPigs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 am

I'm going through the exact same thing as you! I will follow along in hopes of some kind of answers!

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Norm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Have had this happen to me, heard of it from some other folks as well. Some gilts show little to no signs, need to be induced to get them out. Some end up not being pregnant, or litters of still borns. Theories I've heard are PRRS, mycotoxins, vaccination programs, or just plain bad luck. Not every one will do it, that's the frustrating part. Ultrasound would have helped, but not everyone has access. Best of luck to you.

GrubaughSG
Power User
Power User

Post by GrubaughSG » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:03 am

Just to follow up, thank you for the answers. We induced last night and even though she went over a couple days she ended up having 7 babies. All were pretty small but are healthy.