Kane Piglet Waters

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
livestock_ohio

Kane Piglet Waters

Post by livestock_ohio » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 am

I pen farrow and have been thinking about putting a Kane piglet water in the creep area to help hydrate piglets. My latest litter has 14 piglets in it, and I am trying to figure out if one of those waters would be worth the expense. They seem like they would work for younger piglets but by the time they are two weeks old, it looks like it would be too small to be helpful. Any experience with these waters that would like to share their opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Kane Piglet Waters

Post by Norm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 am

Never have used, don't like water in creep area. Seems counter productive to have leaking potential in the one area I'm trying to keep warm and dry. Depending on how you water the sows, this could be an option. http://www.farmerboyag.com/Stainless-St ... -SowPiglet
Make sure you use the piglet nipple in the lower space.

cah
Power User
Power User

Post by cah » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm

We have used the Kane water'ers and also used them at one time to supplement formula when mother didn't have enough milk . They are nice to have on hand .

HAWKNW1

Post by HAWKNW1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:21 pm

I'd just use the Purina PuriGel or Ultra Care Gel for water intake and starting to creep feed. Then you can put on the floor or creep feeder and let them go after it. You can even put some of the easy wean Ultra Care 100 or Prelude 209 into it about golf ball size to let them eat even more to get going!