Sow heat detection issues

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Lisaann

Sow heat detection issues

Post by Lisaann » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:44 am

Okay, i am new to this site, but not exactly new to pigs. I have a sow that has had one litter of 11 healthy piglets, and was an amazing mom. Couldn't ask for a better momma. However, when we tried to breed her a second time with a different boar, she had a miscarriage about 21 days into it. Now, she comes in heat, and what not, but trying to tell when she is in standing heat is nearly impossible. I have raised this girl since the day she was born, bottle fed, the whole 9 yards. So that being said, i can do anything with her, including sit on her, and she doesn't care as long as she is getting my attention. Today i noticed her riding her penmate, rather aggresively. So, i moved her in with the boar that bred her the first time. And same thing, she is riding him rather aggresively. On that note, does anyone know how long from when she starts riding her penmates, till standing heat. This is driving me crazy, and getting rid of her is out of the question, so she has to get bred. Thanks in advance for any advice.