Just starting out.

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
pigfarmer1025
Power User
Power User

Just starting out.

Post by pigfarmer1025 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 pm

So I am currently getting ready to start my own farrowing operation. I have read some of the post on here about people have problems with their litters. I personally want to try to have the best experience at this as possible. I understand that is not always the case, so my question is what steps should I do after getting a gilt or sow insematied? I also was wondering what kind of vaccines I need to use to ensure litter and sow health?

Thanks!

Norm
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Just starting out.

Post by Norm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am

Here are my suggestions:
1. Don't spend any more on sires or semen than you are prepared to lose.
2. Maintain bred in a slim or green condition. Way different than show condition.
3. Work with a local veterinarian for herd health and vaccination protocols.
4. Make sure your farrowing and nursery facilities are workable and safe for animals and caretakers.
5. Have fun.

Realize that with the miracle of birth, you will also have to deal with mortality and morbidity. Financially, it may make sense to buy prospect pigs. Best of luck.

LzDy
Power User
Power User

Post by LzDy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I agree with what Norm said above. Here is a few things I would add. We started with proven sows from a local reputable breeder. These sows were just being replaced with daughter gilts but still had plenty left in them. Our gilts had trouble farrowing and I would advice against them to start. If you have a sow that you hate just get rid of her. Temperament is something you should look for besides looks. Life is too short to deal with cranky pigs there are plenty that are fun to work with and are built right. A breeding sow does not always look like a market sow. You need to train your eye to pick a good breeding sow that lays down births and milks all on her own. You can breed that show look by using sires to add that to your show babies.

Shawver Show Pigs

Post by Shawver Show Pigs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:07 pm

I agree with all of the above as well. Just be prepared to lose money and/or stock. I have been doing this for almost 4 years now. It is a huge eye opener, before I showed pigs my whole life then decided to start breeding for local county fairs and a few have went to state fairs. It is very rewarding to see your pigs at shows, looking great and even better when you have class winners and overall winners but breeding is A LOT of work. I am small with only 3-4 sows that have 1 occasionally 2 litters a year, I also have a full time job. I take off work a lot during farrowing season but I also have to have a lot of help from family. Even with the right set up you can lose a piglet or two. I have crates (highly recommend) and just had a litter I stayed in the barn with them for 28 hours during and right after birth to make sure they wouldn't get laid on and eating well but after only being gone for a few hours came back and I found two dead. I'm not sure if they were laid on and walked to the side then died or if they had something wrong. Last year, I lost the 11 out 14 piglets and the sow. She had complications during farrowing. So just a heads up it is fun and rewarding but you are also taking a chance on loosing lots of money and your stock. Also, create a good relationship with a local vet. My vet doesn't know much about pigs so if they don't know, I usually call a friend that has been breeding for years or refer to here which is very helpful. So overall try your best to have a good set up, a good plan, a good relationship with vet or other breeders that know a lot, and have everything on hand for farrowing, Oxytocin, Penicillin, Pig Puller, Arm length gloves, Milk Replacer, Iodine, Iron, Towels, Needles and Syringes just to name a few. Make sure you deworm sows a few days before farrowing and I give my sows Bran starting a week before due to keep them regular. Just a few tips, Good Luck!
Lindsey Shawver
Shawver Show Pigs

Ashleyyy98

Post by Ashleyyy98 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

I saw the topic that you were just wanting to start out and if you are looking for a gilt to breed I have an 8 month old Berkshire gilt I'm looking to sell. She's papered and her dam was the Iowa state fair grand champion a couple years back. I am part of my local FFA program and am looking for a breeder to take her as I only have 3 weeks to find someone. If you are interested or know anyone please let me know! Thank you!