When can sow be re-exposed to weaned litter

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
TDog78

When can sow be re-exposed to weaned litter

Post by TDog78 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Weaned our first 8 Berkshire piglets at 4 weeks and all are doing well. We took mom and kept her in another pen far away to help dry her up and she came back into heat four days later at which point we re-bred her with our onsite boar. I kind of need her back in her original pen with another bred gilt but it is right next to where her piglets are located. I did not want to cause any complications with her current hopeful breeding. When is it safe to bring her back into sight and touch through the fence with her original litter without causing problems? Thanks for any help.

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: When can sow be re-exposed to weaned litter

Post by buckibri » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:34 pm

The general preference to mix sows or gilts together after breeding is 30-35 days.

Zero issue having her close to weaned pigs.

TDog78

Post by TDog78 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm

buckibri wrote:The general preference to mix sows or gilts together after breeding is 30-35 days.

Zero issue having her close to weaned pigs.
Thanks! What is the idea behind keeping the Sows and Gilts in solitary for a period of 30-35?

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by buckibri » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm

When mixed after breeding the sows tend to fight aggressively and that can cause harm to the developing embryos. Often the sows will cause enough stress to lose the pregnancy.

TDog78

Post by TDog78 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:41 am

buckibri wrote:When mixed after breeding the sows tend to fight aggressively and that can cause harm to the developing embryos. Often the sows will cause enough stress to lose the pregnancy.
Makes sense and i have seen that first hand, but had assumed it was sorting pecking order but bet one of them was in heat. Thanks again. Travis.