Sow In heat but won't stand

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
GrubaughSG
Power User
Power User

Sow In heat but won't stand

Post by GrubaughSG » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 pm

So I bought a young duroc sow a couple months ago. And when she comes in heat she doesn't swell up as much as my other sows but she will get red and have discharge. It seems like she will have some discharge the first few days but stay red for quite a few days following. She will usually stay red for about 6-7 days and I can't get her to stand. I don't have a boar so I just use boar spray and play with their flank area and try to rough them up a little bit and I can usually get them to lock up. How should I go about breeding her? Ai her on days 3 and 4 and hope she sticks?Also thinking about givin her pg600 6 days before her next cycle to ensure she comes in, will the pg 600 actually help at all or not?

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Re: Sow In heat but won't stand

Post by Delangworthy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 am

I would breed her when you notice discharge and 24 hours after. i have several sows that swell at different times during their cycle but it seems to me the discharge is the more reliable indicator for inseminanting for those tougher sows. I am no expert by any means but that has been my experience. I have Duroc that rarely gives the standing reflex and her swelling is minimal, however I inseminate her when I see discharge and she sticks. I have a hamp sow the swells several days before noticeable discharge. On her I wait until discharge and breed. I have a berk sow that seems to swell at the end of her cycle. If I waited to breed her when she is swollen I would miss her. I ended up getting a draminski estrus detector and it has been an awesome tool to determine proper breeding time.

carpspigs
Power User
Power User

Post by carpspigs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I have one like that when the discharge starts it is kind of like lube it will get tacky like glue I breed her when it is getting tacky she has stuck every time one dose then and one 24 hrs later

GrubaughSG
Power User
Power User

Post by GrubaughSG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Will do, I appreciate it! Wish me luck