Draminski ?

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Draminski ?

Post by Delangworthy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 am

Have a sow that her numbers dropped to 200 for 24 hrs and now has jumped to 240. Is this a big enough spike to breed on? Her last cycle went like this: 190-230-260-280-350. I have noticed bigger spikes on my other sows. She seems to be a slow riser.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Draminski ?

Post by Rway » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Yes, she is obviously on the rise up. So she is starting to cycle. The dose will remain viable in her for long enough to breed her.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

Ok thanks. I did give dose yesterday at 4pm at 240. I checked her before bed and she was at 280. This morning she was at 300 and I gave her a 2nd dose. I appreciate your feedback Rway.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Rway » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

Sounds like you got her right on. Do you chart your gilts? I start charting about 30 days out on my gilts. Testing every 2-3 days more often when closer to cycling. I went 15 for 16 sows and gilts this year using it and a teaser. Wish someone could make a charting software program. I tried.

Ed

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25 pm

I went 3 for 3 this time lol! I hope to go 6-6 for this fall. What I have been doing for charting is the week upto cycling. I get 4-7 days of numbers leading to estrous and of course the main event. I found this help full as far as numbers go. I haven't messed with gilts at all with the draminski. All have been sows, however I do have a few new gilts for the upcoming breeding season. I have found patience to be key. Example this sow was a full day behind last cycle. I would have been early based on signs (not numbers). Also I ran this sow by a teaser boar periodically for 3 days. She really wasn't interested. One of my other berk sows who was heat at the same time locked up almost every time. I firmly believe in the draminski. Still learning how to use correctly. I always appreciate your feedback Ed.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

I have a sow I have been checking with a draminski. Her numbers have been below 200 since Monday. Is this normal for them to ride low for a few days before spiking? Also after I breed on the spike, how many hours afterwards before second dose?

SwineGuy89
Power User
Power User

Post by SwineGuy89 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:38 pm

I have a question for you users, i have a draminski, but my gilt seem to be too small for the rod? I have also read you are not supposed to use lubrication as it can tinker with results what is your opinion, and how can i remedy this situation?
It's not all about being the heaviest muscled hog, Its about balance.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Rway » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

AI Gel on the end - as a lube does not seem to tinker with the numbers. I always have used lube and have never noticed a difference. Honestly the probe works with the majority of the gilts that I use it on. Occasionally you have the one, where it can not be inserted the whole way. I have tested 10 this year and only had issues with one. I have a cross that showed no physical sign of on coming heat cycle. Sunday went 260, Tuesday 240 and yesterday standing at 300. Very little swelling . So most likely was in full stand Wednesday evening throughout Thursday evening. Ran the boar by her and she was in a mild stand. Won't breed her until next cycle. But at least I now have her charted. I have a few that hate the probe - I always remind people to hold the tail, so that they do not back up into a wall or gate and snap the probe off.

SwineGuy89
Power User
Power User

Post by SwineGuy89 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks so much i will go try again ;) My gilt is coming in on the 7th and she is hard to know when to hit because she swells for about 5 days, and she has only stood for me on 1 occasion she doesn't react to boar scent either.
It's not all about being the heaviest muscled hog, Its about balance.