Will waiting to breed hurt my future conception rates????

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Will waiting to breed hurt my future conception rates????

Post by AndreB57 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 am

We had sows farrow in January it is now April. I want to know if keeping my sows open till September-October will hurt my conception rates come that time. Or if I should just breed now and have August pigs. I do not have the clientele built up to sell august show pigs but I could send them to the local sale barn. I just want to do what is best for conception rates and the sows sake come time to breed for next year mid-west show pig season.

Thanks for you help

LzDy
Power User
Power User

Re: Will waiting to breed hurt my future conception rates????

Post by LzDy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am

Waiting to breed has nothing to do with conception rates really. Conception rates are more correlated with condition of the sow and timing of breeding. In your case you have to look at all of your different variables. I know breeders that hate to farrow in August because it is so hot in our area and the sows are miserable and they have a hard time keeping them cool so they lose condition and that affects their conceptions when they rebreed. The same is true if you let her sit and get fat during the off season. Do you have a boar? Some sows are easy to heat detect and others are harder without a boar. Are you buying semen? Do you need replacements? Some people rebreed post weaning just because it is easier to know about when they will come in heat. So take a look at all your variables and then decide what works best for you. My case: I already own a boar so why not use him. We will breed an off litter for replacement gilts and sell the rest as feeders to help offset costs of feed. If I have one that is close we will leave her open for a cycle or two them rebreed for the correct days (to get show pigs, more money per piglet). If I have a sow that has lost alot of condition lactating, we skip a cycle to get more condition on her and improve conception also. We try to farrow 2 x a year per sow. 1 show pig litter and 1 feeder/replacements litter. Hope that helps

AndreB57
Power User
Power User

Re: Will waiting to breed hurt my future conception rates????

Post by AndreB57 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes that does help! Thanks for your insight