Matrix protocol

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
KSFarmer

Matrix protocol

Post by KSFarmer » Tue May 09, 2017 7:44 pm

I have posted a few times here and everyone has been super helpful. I have a few questions about Matrix and how to use it. I have two gilts I would like to AI but their cycles dont seem to be very consistent yet. I was wondering about using matrix to synchronize them and ensure my timing for AI works well. I also have a difficult sow to get bred. I am hoping the hormones will help regulate her and help me to get her bred.

So for my questions... Is matrix only given orally or is it also available in injection? What percent of animals will cycle 3 to 6 days after day 14? I have read posts on here many will give matrix for longer or shorter than 14 days. How many should I do? where in the pigs' current estrus cycle should I start matrix, beginning middle or towards the end or does it matter? Will Matrix work equally well on a 2 year old sow as a gilt? Why do some use PG600 on day 14 or 15 of the Matrix? What is the typical semen ordering schedule when using Matrix? to have semen on day 3 or 4 after 14? My problem sow is being bred several times when standing but doesnt settle. She has discharge when in heat and then about 5 days after heat has ended. Do you think Matrix has a shot at getting her to settle? I dont have a vet around me who knows anything about pigs so I appreciate the help.

Josh

HogDoc
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Matrix protocol

Post by HogDoc » Sun May 14, 2017 10:23 am

Matrix is oral only and you can start it anytime in the estrus cycle. We generally tell people to give the last dose on Thursday or Monday if they are not using shipped semen and Friday or Tuesday if they are using shipped semen and ordering for the next collection.
Matrix is only labeled for gilts in the US. If you are using it on a sow we generally give our clients instructions to use the European dose of 9.3 ml.
Matrix likely will not help with your problem sow.
PG600 reduces the variation in the timing of standing heat so the percentage will be higher on the 3-6 day window you mentioned. (Mid 90s VS mid 80 percent).
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
Thomas Jefferson

True North Technologies
www.goinshowin.com
https://www.facebook.com/TrueGlo

KSFarmer

Re: Matrix protocol

Post by KSFarmer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Thank you HogDoc. Exactly the information I was looking for! I hate to do it but I will cull this sow out and find a replacement. As for the gilts, i think i will wait a few months and breed after they are a bit more dependable on their cycles. Matrix is expensive! I really appreciate your help.