Retained pigs

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
cuttergirl1958

Retained pigs

Post by cuttergirl1958 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 am

Have been raising pigs 20 plus years, we had a big gilt in January that we could not get but 1 baby out (did not have a pulled at that time never needed one). Anyway 2 days later she passed 1 more and I could feel more but with drugs she never passed anymore. We loaded her up on antibiotics, and getting told us to infuse her with oxytetracyclene/saline water mix. Did that 3 times. March she came in heat and did for 3 more cycles, but every time I could smell stinky discharge. She was eating great and doing great until all the sudden she started looking gant. Pulled her out of sow pen, took temp and 102, and she won't eat very well at all. Vet in our area not swine vet, I worked for large animal vet as assistant for 11 years, so I have lots of experience - even done my own sections and such, anyway, he just said more penicillin. I have been slopping her food with milk replacer and eating a little better, but not great. We have given her banamine also but she still not feeling good or eating good. Any suggestions? Shs was an amazing show gilt and want to save if we can. Thanks!!

buckibri
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Re: Retained pigs

Post by buckibri » Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 pm

The fact that she survived not being able to pass pigs naturally was anexceptional gift that allowed you to sell her. Never laugh at fate.