Draminski

Breeding questions, sow talk, semen management, baby pig basics
apalizay8
Power User
Power User

Draminski

Post by apalizay8 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am

What is the difference between the draminski pregnancy detector and the draminski estrous detector, from what I have read can the estrous detector be used to determine pregnancy? Also anyone who uses the Draminski pregnancy detector what days post breeding is it accurate up to?

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Re: Draminski

Post by Delangworthy » Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am

I do not have the pregnancy detector but do have the estrous detector. You can use the estrous detector to determine pregnancy. You can check the sow days 18-20 after previous breed date and check her numbers. If they are low 150-220 she is starting her cycle. If they are are riding around 300 she is bred. I am not sure about the pregnancy detector and how it works.

apalizay8
Power User
Power User

Post by apalizay8 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Do you check the sows everyday, every few days, or just when they get out to 18-20 days post breeding

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:17 pm

If I know when they cycle I will start checking a few days before and all the way through. They usually start 300 and work their way down. example day 18-200 day 19-180 day 20-200 day 21 280+. I get a few days of low numbers 150-200 and then a spike. You need to check twice a day though. Usually on the 2nd day of low numbers there is a spike. I like to breed on the low number before the spike and then after the spike. Since semen is live for 24 hours you cover the spike and 24 hours afterwards. There are several guys on this forum that really know how to use the draminski just type draminski in the search bar under breeding/sow topic. There is a ton of info. I am new to it as well and have had off and on success so far. I did a gilt this spring and she had low numbers for a day. I would suggest breeding gilts on the first low number 150-190 because she will most likely spike within 12-24 hours. It's best to get numbers on sows/gilts during non breeding cycles so you know how they go through the progression. I don't have a boar and a full time job so this helps me with identifying breeding times. Most of my sows do not respond well to sprays and back pressure. So it helps with that. Some say you need to rub their flanks and all that to get better litter sizes. I don't do that and have litters ranging from 8-10. Most important to litter size IMO is timing of AI. But could be misleading with that.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Also use a calendar and keep track of numbers. Occasionally my sows will be off a day not often but sometimes. My gilt cycled early of course after I had two cycles pinned down. I was only able to get one dose in her when she had already spiked to 240. She wasn't interested in a second dose. So know I play the waiting game. I use the catheters with the sleeve. I really like them as it puts the semen where it needs to be.

primeswine26

Post by primeswine26 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 pm

How are you testing your sows? Are you putting them in a chute, crate, etc?? I can't imagine them standing still to insert something vaginally when they're not in heat even with feed. That's my main concern before I spend the money on one. We all have those few idiot sows who run around.

Delangworthy
Power User
Power User

Post by Delangworthy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I feed and check them while they are eating. Doesn't take long to check them. Surprisingly they don't seem to mind it. My gilt the first time was a little uncomfortable but doesn't mind now. Besure to Place the probe at an upward direction when inserting. Push the rod gently until it stops and rotate it. Push button 3 times and it will give you a number. I normally get a couple of readings each time. The numbers may very a little each time, but typically 10-20pts. Example 1st reading maybe 370 the next one maybe 360. That is typical at any time during the process. I did miss a sow using this but it was my fault because even though I check their numbers I'm still impatient and bred early. My experience is with my sows i will see swelling. Check the numbers and she is 260 that evening or next morning more swelling 220. Over the next two days (3 days after noticed swelling) I get a 190-220 that 4th day or 5th day I see the spike. It is painfully difficult to wait, but that is why this unit is helpful. I have a Duroc gilt that cycled early on me. When the semen arrived she had already spiked to a 260. I gave her a dose. The next day I tried dosing and she really wasn't interested she had a number of 330, so I didn't push the issue. I figured I missed her since I wasn't sure how long she had spiked before breeding. It has been two cycles since and she has not cycled. Her numbers are between 330 and 450. I'm sure she stuck.

Rway
Boar Stud
Boar Stud

Post by Rway » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 pm

I just wanted to state that the information provided is very correct. I haven't been on the boards in a few weeks. The only thing that I would add at this point, is that you might want to hold onto a tail of the sow or gilt when inserting the draminski. I had a sow who felt it was important to back into a wall with it inserted, thus breaking it into two pieces. I am on my second one. Some people do not feel that the money justifies the need, but if you are buying expensive semen, then this device can easily pay for itself quickly. Even the cost of a boar would pay for it. But honestly having a teaser and this device is the best imo. I went 15/16 this year breeding with this device.